VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A New Guy needs some advice....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidJolley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: A New Guy needs some advice.... Reply with quote

Hi;

I’m new here, and I’d like to introduce myself and ask for a bit of advice.

My name is David Jolley. I have been in “the Industry” for nearly 40 years (25 years at Paramount Pictures), but not in a creative role. I was an IT manager for the Studio Group. I also worked at A&M Records, and was the Editor of the first monthly publication that dealt with the use of Computers in the composition and performance of music, so I have a ton of audio experience.

Throughout my career at Paramount, I was encouraged by professionals to pursue a career in VO. People in the “the biz” seemed to think I had/have what it takes. However, I was never particularly interested, as I was knee deep in my IT career. Having retired from that business and feeling like I want to pursue my “creative” side, I decided that VO would be something I would be very interested in.

In the several months that I have been looking into how I might fit into this industry, I have learned a great deal. I recently attended the VO Conference at the Sheraton Universal Hotel, and I got a wonderful “vibe” from the professionals that also attended. A great bunch of people, and I felt very much at home. I have come to understand that VO is actually acting, and I am going to need some training in that area. I have also come to understand the need for Individual coaching as well.

But….I have also learned that there is a Very, very long line of people standing in front of me ready and willing to take my money for said coaching, acting classes, demos, webinars, conferences, equipment consultations, etc. I see this more in the VO world than I have in other industries in which I have been involved. It kind of seems like everyone is a coach or trainer…..even people that have been in the profession for a short period of time and are not making a full-time living at it are offering their services as “coaches”.

So, I am trying to sort all of this out.

One issue I am trying to sort out is whether to invest in a VO-Specific acting class, or steer more toward Traditional acting classes to gain a foundation in the craft. There is NO shortage of acting classes in the LA area, of course.

I am wondering if anyone might have some opinions on training that they could offer. Suggestions for acting classes, perhaps. Also, does anyone here have any experience with the companies that offer VO-Specific group classes, such as Aliso Creek, Kalmenson & Kalmenson, or any of the others?
I want to do this the RIGHT way, and I know that it all starts with the training.

Any suggestions or resources would be deeply appreciated!

Thank You!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi david - welcome to the vo-bb the best little corner of the intarweb since myspace! i hope bob bergen pops in to offer his sage wisdom, because he has a lot to offer and is also in the same physical space.

my little spot of advice is - beware of the VO charlatans & carpetbaggers - and there are a LOT of them out there. they will tell you are ready when you are not - sell you demos & headshots - master classes - offer to teach you the iranian double pause - kindly reject their advances.

the archives here offer a wealth of information - take a long weekend and dig in. we are happy to help for the small fee of feeding the llama every now and then.

Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: A New Guy needs some advice.... Reply with quote

DavidJolley wrote:
I have also learned that there is a Very, very long line of people standing in front of me ready and willing to take my money for said coaching, acting classes, demos, webinars, conferences, equipment consultations, etc. I see this more in the VO world than I have in other industries in which I have been involved.

Hi David... and welcome! I believe your observation is spot-on.

My feeling is that, because the uninitiated perceive from the outside that voice-over is nothing more than reading and speaking, that it's an easy field in which to make money (quickly). Some conclude that on their own, but many others are led to believe (or are outright told) that by many of those you mentioned. Especially the unscrupulous among them. Voice-over is, unfortunately, one of those professions where we see far too many examples of "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

I fully echo what Todd said. And I'll now leave it to others to enlighten you further. But I think you're off to a good start having observed what you have. Best of luck!

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, David! Being that I am also in LA, I can steer you in the right direction.

If you've had zero acting training, I say start there. My personal favorite acting teacher is John Ruskin:
https://ruskinschool.com/?_ga=2.241562498.1872812158.1546533408-781210739.1546533408

Tell him I referred you. See if he will allow you to audit/observe a class before committing. Most good acting teachers allow this.

You should also check out Howard Fine:
https://howardfine.com

Also a terrific acting coach. He and John have very different styles and approaches, and it's a good idea to shop a few acting coaches to find the best fit.

You should also look into improv training. Groundlings, Acme, Upright Citizen's Brigade, etc. All good, and all different.

As for vo, for now as you study acting just surf the various resources online:
https://iwanttobeavoiceactor.com
This is a great site by Dee Baker, a good buddy and very successful vo actor.

https://vobuzzweekly.com/videos/
Hundreds of interviews with top vo agents, casting directors, and actors. Nice research to prep you if/when your career is ready to meet and network with these professionals. I would also suggest connecting with these vo players on social media. From Facebook to Twitter to Instagram, this is a vital part of the vo and acting career, especially in LA.

As for vo coaches, The Voiceover Resource Guide is the bible of all things vo in LA:
http://www.voiceoverresourceguide.com/la/index.html
I like Jeff Howell, Mary Lynn Wissner, Bill Holmes, Juan Carlos Bagnell, Elaine Craig, Dave Walsh. All great, all coach different genres of vo. If animation is of interest you are more than welcome to audit one of my classes. But it has a 4 year waitlist, so just keep that in mind. Debi Derryberry, Richard Horvitz, and Mick Wingert are also outstanding animation coaches.

Also surf the sites of the top talent agents: Atlas, DPN, CESD, WME, AVO, Abrams, SBV. Listen to their talent's demos to get an idea of what you need to live up to, and what you need to be better than. A new talent needs to offer an agent something they don't already represent.

This should be plenty for you to dive into. And if you have any questions about any other entity or person, feel free to email me. bob@bobbergen.com

Break a uvula!
B
DavidJolley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all SO much for your kind welcome and input.

Bob, it’s an honor to be sharing the same web space with you…I was aware of your work way before I considered stepping into this business. I will most certainly check out each of your recommendations, and I truly appreciate your taking the time to make them. Lunch is on me ANY time!

I did see you at the recent VO conference at the Sheraton. Loved your Q/A, “Ask the Pig”……How ironic, those are EXACTLY the same words my ex-wife said to my lawyer on so many occasions……. Smile

I look forward to becoming an active member of this community, and, hopefully, be able to make some contributions of my own.

It’s interesting, with regard to my comments about people “lining up to take my money”…..there is one man I am aware of, back in the Midwest, who has TWO ebooks on VO Success out, a podcast with dozens of episodes, and he offers Skype Coaching and a membership coaching program for $97 a month…..just one problem…..until recently, he was a full time bus mechanic. The man really DOES have it all together, I’m certain he will ultimately be successful….he is a great marketer. But, I think it’s just a little deceptive to offer a “Path to Success” in a field where you are not a success yourself.

Again thanks so much, guys….I look forward to this new journey!

DJ
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidJolley wrote:
there is one man I am aware of, back in the Midwest, who has TWO ebooks on VO Success out, a podcast with dozens of episodes, and he offers Skype Coaching and a membership coaching program for $97 a month…..just one problem…..until recently, he was a full time bus mechanic.

Brings new meaning to the term, coaching.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...it’s just a little deceptive to offer a “Path to Success” in a field where you are not a success yourself.

Your insight should help you in your quest.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidJolley wrote:
...he offers Skype Coaching and...until recently, he was a full time bus mechanic.

Also:

-- Was selling his coaching services and "secrets" to authors and publishers in 2009. (Seems to have given up on that.)

-- Was selling coaching to pastors about how to market their ministries in 2011. (Seems to have given up on that.)

-- Moved on to another venture in 2012: the "Business Growth E-Academy, The Most Powerful and Dynamic Client Attraction Program Ever Created! Promising that "You're About To Start Your Own $100 k / Yr Virtual Coaching Business." (Seems to have given up on that too.)

-- Now seems to have found fertile fishing ground in the VO world, selling books, and demo services, and $97/month coaching programs and Life-Coaching-type services (among other things) to voice talent, making promises like this: "If you are making close to 6 figures or more in your business, how would you like to know the way to double or triple that?" And "You are the center of the universe. You deserve greatness, you are worthy, and you are enough."

-- Has also begun selling "QNMA" training, which claims that Quantum Neural Manifestation Alignment can enhance "the natural ability of your brain to manifest anything and everything that you desire in the easiest way possible."

How anyone can find any credibility in his teachings is simply beyond me.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the snake oil for all the smoke and mirrors.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His "How to keep a successful marriage and increase your savings" had a tremendous impact on my life.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he helped me take my $100k/year "secret" quantum neural manifestation alignment voiceover ministry to new levels of multi-level success.

Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DougVox"]
DavidJolley wrote:
Quantum Neural Manifestation Alignment

Old Technology. Star Trek had that with the first replicator.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent him $100 this morning because I'm pretty sure he hosted a 'remote sleep learning' seminar in my dreams
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: