VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honest Feedback On My Commercial Demo (UK)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Tunnix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Honest Feedback On My Commercial Demo (UK) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'd be really grateful for some honest feedback on the current version of my commercial demo: https://soundcloud.com/user-656648992/scott-tunnix-commercial-demo-reel

Particularly in terms of the weakest / strongest parts, audio quality and the quality of the copy (written myself, with the exception of the Crayola ad).

Many thanks in advance.

Scott
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mr. Banks is best to critique this. I myself don't know the UK market, so I don't know what is considered competitive there.

But to me, I hear you trying to sound versatile and not always connecting with the copy. The demo starts out too over the top character and lacks the conversational realness of today's vo industry. But again, this just might be what your market demands from vo demos.

After 40 years in the vo game I would never write or produce my own demo. I want a top demo producer for that, one who knows the market, knows the trends in advertising, music in ads, etc.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have never allowing a silly thing like not knowing what I'm talking about from stopping me from having an opinion, I'll freely give you the benefit of my almost 50 years audio production experience.

Overall...Not bad.

However, Being aware that as an American, I think that any British accent is simply BRILLIANT...

I will ALSO offer the following.

I would totally lose the two spots where you are super "Low key - low energy." (divorce spot and mobile phone?) These "whisper" spots totally don't work and sound obnoxiously insincere. Sorry... but these are not your forte.

(you did say to be "honest")

The others? I like them very much. Upbeat. Character spots.

Sure.

They work for me.

Just remember....
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download some audio from your local or favourite commercial radio station. Take the audio from when the Dj goes out of a song and into a commercial break. We'll assume there are 5 ads in the break, then a station ident and back into a song. Edit out ad 3 and insert your best ad, you at your mostest awesomest!

Play entire audio with the one change you made. How does it sound to you?

Pay no attention to the "voice over experts". Listen to how you would be perceived by the market because the market signs the cheques.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: