VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand me branded
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice talents on 5er and the people that hire them deserve each other. Lowballers, hand in hand, walking off into the mediocre sunset. Let ‘em!

Quality producers hire quality voices and pay accordingly.

Which camp do you want to be associated with?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's, obviously.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innit, tho'.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random!
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's not here. /obligatory

Ian - Hold yourself to higher standards with performance, ethics, business relationships, mentors, and colleagues. If you respect yourself, your clients, and how you run your business, those with like minds will join you.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading. Lee mentions those with good brands, like Mr. Turkel’s "UNnouncer" and Chris Mezzolesta's "Voiceatile”, but does it get them work? Does someone hit on their website and go, “OH... I NEED AN UNNOUNCER” or “SOMEONE WHO’S REALLY VERSATILE”?

On my website I have “Epic Storyteller” because I do a lot of NFL work and some of the battles I’m able to narrate, to me, are epic. But does the label get me work? I doubt it. It might get people to listen to my demos, but to hire me, they have to like what they hear, not like what they see.

It’s my opinion that you don’t find your niche. Your niche will find you. Right now, that’s something I’m trying to broaden and it’s tough. I guess for lack of a better description, I have a gruff voice. The things that came my way this week for example, are NFL, which I’ve worked for the Vikings for eight years, award videos for the National Football Hall of Fame and College Football Hall of Fame, the intros and announcements for both of their Gala Dinners, Motorola, which I’ve done all their Police Communication Technology videos for years, where the cops are corralling bad guys... I could go on, but the picture I’m painting is either bodies slamming into each other or police running down bad guys with guns. I’d like to get into Nat Geo type of stuff, but apparently me and Bambi aren’t a fit. At least yet.

The point of this diatribe is, IMO, labeling yourself, or branding yourself ‘AS’ something won’t do anything. AND, I think labeling yourself or offering a brand might even be limiting. While I do a lot of TV and Radio spots as well, they were from auditions where my voice fit, not because PF Chang’s wanted an Epic Storyteller. I think they hired me in spite of that. Or maybe they didn’t, I really don’t know.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the 11 billion Voice Over websites (estimate), 12,27 billion TELL the visitor what to think.

STOP IT!

Present your wares. Allow the customer to sniff them and perchance rub linseed oil into them. Should he nod his head and walk away at a steady pace to the next vendor, cry softly into your silk handkerchief whilst wishing him an astonishingly good day.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
I’d like to get into Nat Geo type of stuff, but apparently me and Bambi aren’t a fit. At least yet.

If Marv Newland ever want a narrator for his film short, Bambi meets Godzilla, you’re the man!

https://youtu.be/n-wUdetAAlY

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
Does someone hit on their website and go, “OH...I NEED AN UNNOUNCER”

That's not really the point of my branding. It's not intended to get me work (at least not directly). It's intended to describe my sound and to help teach potential clients what it is that can expect from me. If they're looking for "epic" and "gravitas," I ain't their guy. Hopefully, "UNnouncer" helps them understand that.

Rick Riley wrote:
It’s my opinion that you don’t find your niche. Your niche will find you.

Exactly. I didn't just "decide" on my branding and start marketing myself because I had a catchy new title. I've always said that I didn't come up with my branding, my clients did. The UNnouncer® brand was the result of identifying exactly what it was that clients were looking for when they ended up hiring me.

Has it worked? I can't promise that it has. But I ain't complaining.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougVox wrote:
Has it worked? I can't promise that it has. But I ain't complaining.

That's kinda where I ended up with my sub-line as well. I use it because it adds some type of personality to my name, but after that, who knows...

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branding in itself is not a bad thing. Problem is, people are investing more time and energy on a brand in an attempt to stand out when they should be investing in their talent, training, and craft. Most who have branded their vo career haven’t yet had a vo career. And they think a catchy brand will draw buyers to them. When the brand is organic and the talent brilliant, that’s when it works. When it’s contrived it looks cheesy and desperate, and is more of a turn off.
graemespicer
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
Problem is, people are investing more time and energy on a brand in an attempt to stand out when they should be investing in their talent, training, and craft. Most who have branded their vo career haven’t yet had a vo career.

More straight talk from the mouth of Porky Pig Smile

Could not have been better stated, Bob.

BTW - really enjoyed your keynote at WoVOCon. Thanks as always for the inspiration.

Member of the World-Voices Executive Board

tel • (416) 716-2246
email • graeme@graemespicer.com
graemespicer.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked for an ad agency, the thing we generally considered more important than branding was "positioning." To us, that meant conveying the message to our clients' potential customers that "If you need X, Our Client has/does that." Sometimes getting that message across involves branding; sometimes it doesn't.

Again, I use Doug's branding as an example because, in one word, it tells everybody who specifies "no announcer types" (and you know how many people ask for that) that Doug might just be their man. Not everybody is self-aware or clever enough to be able to come up with a brand that conveys a specific message about themselves so well, but even if they were, that message doesn't just pop into the heads of customers on its own. It still takes marketing. And if you're going to do the marketing, it doesn't matter whether your "brand" is a word or a phrase or just your name, it needs to position you as someone your customers want or need to help them accomplish their goals.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: