VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Hate Pay Pal. And I hate Laziness.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: I Hate Pay Pal. And I hate Laziness. Reply with quote

I really dislike PayPal's pound-of-flesh, confiscatory business model.

Some of my overseas clients insist on using it, though-- and not TransferWise or Venmo. I have tried my best.
I charge PayPal fees with most of these clients, but some I can't.

It makes me pretty mad that I have to pay for their choice of funding, and I don't give a damn that "I can deduct it".

It's not MY "cost of doing business" as much as it's subsidizing someone else's convenience.

PISSED.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was had a pending payment being held by PayPal. There was literally no reason for them to not release the funds to me other than laziness/slowness on their behalf.

1. I managed to find a list of about 30-40 PayPal corporate email addresses somewhere (I can't remember where) and set myself to work...

2. I registered a domain along the lines of "goldmanwaterschwartz" or something and threw some stock photos of offices/cubicles ect on it. I spent maybe 5 minutes fleshing out a bare-bones template under that domain.

3. I then spent another 5 minutes setting up email for that domain (seriously, it's point and click stuff).

4. Then I made an email address along the lines of "robert@goldmanwaterschartz.com"

5. I had already gone back and forth with PayPal about where my money was via email in the previous days. So, I just hit "reply" to the last canned message that was addressed to "support@paypal.com" or whatever.

6. I then put my newly created "robert@goldmanwaterschwartz.com" email address in the CC field of the email. You know, like I was CC'ing some guy I knew.

6. I then used the "BCC" function in that email (blind carbon copy) for all 30-40 of those corporate PayPal email addresses. They'd see I sent it to the normal "service" address, some guy named Robert at "Goldman, Water, Schwartz", and that's it. They'd also notice they were blind copied, so it was safe for them to assume others were as well...but who?

I basically just repeated my complaint. I didn't mention the "Robert" guy at all (but I wanted a real email and domain/website in case they checked).

Needless to say I got about a dozen replies from actual human beings at US-based Paypal corporate offices, assuring me that my funds would be cleared and deposited into my bank account ASAP.

Within 24 hours I had my money. I don't play with huge, soulless multinational corporations.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - I try to fold in a PayPal fee into the price whenever possible. I'm glad to see more of my clients doing Transferwise.

Ooooh...I'm bookmarking this! Handy calculator to figure out fees https://salecalc.com/paypal Or, I could remember 2.9% + .30 Smile
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a foreign payor, it's 4.5% plus a dollar.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh...that's right. PayPal lets one do credit cards at the 2.9% rate - as does Quickbooks. Wonder if the foreign surcharge applies to that as well.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denalidave that is hilarious. Well done, sir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: