VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts On VO Training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneths

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Thoughts On VO Training Reply with quote

Hi all ... new here and new to VO. I have been practicing on my own for about a year now. I am mostly happy with the progress but looking now to work with either a coach or in a full VO program. I have gotten some names of coaches from other VO talent who's work I respect and open to others if anyone out there feels strongly about someone they've worked with. I've also been looking into the program offered by Edge Studio. I heard the David Goldberg of Edge speak on Jamie Muffett's VO Podcast and liked what he had to say. Does anybody out there have any experience with Edge Studio? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kenneth

P.S. As per Bruce's great suggestion ... I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Last edited by kenneths on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenneth, it will help to know where you are in the country just in case we can recommend someone near to you. Stand by for a mix of reactions and recommendations.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts On VO Training Reply with quote

kenneths wrote:
Hi all ... new here and new to VO. I have been practicing on my own for about a year now. (snip) I've also been looking into the program offered by Edge Studio. I heard the David Goldberg of Edge speak on Jamie Muffett's VO Podcast and liked what he had to say. Does anybody out there have any experience with Edge Studio? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kenneth

I know very little about "Edge Studio" but I will say that I attended VO Atlanta 2018 and I felt that the best thing there was knowledge I picked up from David Goldberg. Practical info from the client/producer's point of view. Very straightforward and no BS. Good stuff. One man's opinion.

On the other hand...

Be aware. There are people I know that spend all of the time/effort/ money in "learning" how to do VO and very little if any time actually doing it.

Just as....on the other end...many who seem to make their money NOT by doing VO but by "instructing" others HOW.

I consider it very much a minefield.

Good luck. Laugh
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record. I am extremely lucky, no more, no less to be able to make a living from voice over work. 100 people set out on the road to voice over Heaven and around 95 will not make a single penny, nothing, nada, zip. Everything they invest will not produce a return. NOTHING.

Rough number - To put yourself in the top 5% of voice over people you will have to be earning in excess of $25,000 per year. Da big bucks!

To be a successful VO you have to learn critical listening. Most Coaches and demo producers rely on the fact, consciously or otherwise, that aspiring VO people will never master critical listening, will never have the courage to ask probing questions and firmly believe that Alan the invisible Unicorn really is able to take them to the next level.

"Well I got a lot from.." is a great thing to write but we need to evaluate the results, the evidence. There is little out there, precious little.

Before you go anywhere you first must master the reality behind The Iranian Double Pause. It will change your life for ever!
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I've heard too many stories that make me really skeptical of VO coaching companies. Most beginners I chat with I advise to simply stay away from them and work directly with a reputable coach. I have no personal experience with Edge, just making a blanket statement.

As for coaching, what is your end goal? In 10-15 years what kind of work would you expect to see yourself performing? Knowing this information, suggestions can be made to guide you in the right direction.

If you're simply looking for a commercial/industrial narration coach in the Bay area, give Tom Chantler a ring. I've attended a couple of his workshops and can easily recommend him for beginners.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Edge studio coaching Reply with quote

I have had coaching with Edge Studios. There are some excellent coaches to choose from.

About 10 years ago, I began working with a top studio in Helsinki.

The engineer, with whom I have worked on many occasions, told me that he noticed an improvement in my performances when I started getting some coaching.

At that point, I had mostly worked with the coaches from Edge.

Not everyone is a naturally talented as Philip, so most of us need coaching.

Now-a-days I am working with a new coach who really holds my feet to the fire!

I won't recommend any particular coach from Edge, as you need to decide which area of VO you want to work in, and then find a fitting coach from there.

All the best in your adventure into voice over. It's a marathon.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't sign a long term contract and don't spend thousands of dollars on a package of training and a demo(s). The most you should consider paying, especially in the early stages, is $150 an hour, and there are decent coaches out there for less. I'm also a fan of in-person training as opposed to video sessions.

Right now I'm guessing you need some basics on working with a mic to your advantage, how to interpret audition requests, reading styles for commercials versus narration versus explainer videos. A few lessons where you feel progress after each one may be all you need right now.

And to Philip's point, your ear can be more valuable that your mouth. Listening to voice talents you admire ask yourself how did they do it, what were they thinking, were they sitting or standing? When I watch animation I don't actually watch, I close my eyes and listen for clues to their thought process and physicality.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
If you're simply looking for a commercial/industrial narration coach in the Bay area, give Tom Chantler a ring. I've attended a couple of his workshops and can easily recommend him for beginners.

I'll second this recommendation for a coach local to SF. Tom is an experienced VO and a good guy.

Edge Studio has a number of experienced, working talent doing coaching and consulting with them. I have friends who have found sessions with some of them valuable, but no personal experience. I'd check out their instructor pages on their website and identify any you're specifically interested in working with, then solicit feedback on those folks in particular.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for a ton of free stuff Pat Fraley has oodles of free good short audio lessons on his site. https://patfraley.com/pf/free/
kenneths

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks Guys! Reply with quote

Bruce, Ed, Philip, Dan-O, FinMac, Jen, Eddie thanks so much for the timely and helpful feedback! Having been working in a vacuum it's great to get advice from people who know. It can be especially stressful starting out as you can waste a lot of time and money getting the wrong advice. However, at some point, you do have to try and get some decent training ... and when ready a great demo! It occurred to me that it might be helpful to post some samples of my practice... It's self-directed so sorry if it stinks!

Best!

Kenneth

VO Practice: https://soundcloud.com/user-350511549/ks-practice-2018

P.S. I will post over on the Critique forum as well just in case this is the wrong place to post audio samples.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High recommendations that you find a VO workshop to attend, then another, then another. It might be easier to locate one in your area if you contact a couple of talent agents and inquire. I've found, in recent years, that the VO workshops that pop up or travel through the various markets usually contact the local talent agents to spread the word.
graemespicer
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for Edge Studio, and can vouch for the quality if the coaching ... there are some truly dedicated and excellent coaches there, including David Goldberg.

However, I agree with all of the above re do your homework/due diligence. Edge’s program is a substantial investment and you need to ensure you’re getting your money’s worth!

Member of the World-Voices Executive Board

tel • (416) 716-2246
email • graeme@graemespicer.com
graemespicer.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See above for an informed opinion.

Good t'see you in these here parts GS!
graemespicer
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Philip - been away from the VO-BB for a long time ... it’s nice to be back! I hope all is well in Portgordon!

Member of the World-Voices Executive Board

tel • (416) 716-2246
email • graeme@graemespicer.com
graemespicer.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good here thank you and hope the same is true for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: