VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Junction point / Manual Control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seattlevoicetalent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Junction point / Manual Control Reply with quote

Hi there! I have a control room in my office and my studio is in the guest room, two rooms away. Sometimes when I do auditions - or a paid job - I find that I have to take on a different character or read that is much louder. My iso-booth is fantastic but with my Neumann TLM102, I can't really be all that loud or I'm going to clip. I could run back and adjust my mixer back in the control room two rooms away for just that one read and then come back and record it, but that would be tedious, and I don't want to tweak my levels, as they're perfect. Wondering if there is some kind of device that I could plug my XLR cable into instead of my Neumann, have some kind of manual volume control or limiter on it, then an XLR out of **IT** and into my Neumann, so that I could manually bring the capture volume down for just that one recording, right there in my iso-booth. Thoughts? Thanks, peoples!
JasonSound

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have your microphone preamp in the studio with you. You would plug your 102 output to the input of the mic preamp, then your mic preamp output to the input of your audio interface in your control room. This setup will give you full control of your input gain in the booth rather than in the control room.
Seattlevoicetalent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: thank you! Reply with quote

JasonSound wrote:
You could have your microphone preamp in the studio with you. You would plug your 102 output to the input of the mic preamp, then your mic preamp output to the input of your audio interface in your control room. This setup will give you full control of your input gain in the booth rather than in the control room.

Thank you! So I hadn't thought of that. I guess I need to figure some things out...I'm not a techie. I got the Grace Amp m101 at the recommendation of my awesome coach...but don't really know the settings that it should be on other than what they're on now. I guess I just need to remember them. Are you familiar with the m101? It's got two big knobs on the front: one for "10dB gain 65 dB" and one for "0dB trim +10dB". I don't know which one to adjust so that I trim the sound, but I'm guessing.......uh..........the "trim" one? Smile
JasonSound

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The Grace m101 is perfect for this setup. Just move it into the booth and connect a short XLR cable to your mic. The cable previously connected to your mic would connect to the output of the Grace. On the studio side, you can plug the two cables you disconnected from the Grace together. Or eliminate one of those cables altogether.

As for adjusting the level, the input gain knob (10db -65db) is more of a course adjustment. The trim is more of a fine tuning adjustment. Either will give you the result of lowering the gain/volume in different degrees. I generally leave the trim on 0db and adjust the gain up or down.
Seattlevoicetalent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonSound wrote:
Yes. The Grace m101 is perfect for this setup. Just move it into the booth and connect a short XLR cable to your mic. The cable previously connected to your mic would connect to the output of the Grace. On the studio side, you can plug the two cables you disconnected from the Grace together. Or eliminate one of those cables altogether.

As for adjusting the level, the input gain knob (10db -65db) is more of a course adjustment. The trim is more of a fine tuning adjustment. Either will give you the result of lowering the gain/volume in different degrees. I generally leave the trim on 0db and adjust the gain up or down.

You're awesome - thanks so much, I'll give it a try!
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a multi-track capable DAW, you could record to parallel tracks and have lower input gain (or a limiter) on the 2nd, 3rd track.

i have a template in Studio One that does this very nicely. Use it for video game work as those characters can get loud sometimes. The remote iOS app would allow you to set levels as well.

Another option - since you have a clean recording space, you could simply record at 24 bit with lower input levels and bring the levels up in software.
Seattlevoicetalent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim edgar wrote:
If you are using a multi-track capable DAW, you could record to parallel tracks and have lower input gain (or a limiter) on the 2nd, 3rd track.

i have a template in Studio One that does this very nicely. Use it for video game work as those characters can get loud sometimes. The remote iOS app would allow you to set levels as well.

Another option - since you have a clean recording space, you could simply record at 24 bit with lower input levels and bring the levels up in software.

Yeah I don't have that nor a second mic dropped in there to capture it at lower gain. No worries though, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: