VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apollo Twin Mk II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeLester

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Apollo Twin Mk II Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I'm pretty new here and am even newer to higher end equipment, so I might have a question or seventeen about a whole bunch of things.

I recently had an Audient ID14 go out on me, so I took the plunge and purchased a Universal Audio Apollo Twin Mk II Duo. I love this thing!

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on the various Unison technology plugins that might be most useful for VO. I basically have until tomorrow to make use of a special offer, and would like to know how you all feel about the Manley Voxbox, SSL 4000e, Neve 88rs, and API Vision channel strips. I would also like to know whether there are other UAD plugins that you would recommend.

As far as my other plugins and DAW, I own Izotope RX6 and I use Reaper.

Although I am a relative newbie, I understand that production studios don't want me to do the engineering/mixing. However, most of the work I have done has been for e-learning and has been dropped into the course/documentary/etc. as-is, which is not entirely satisfactory, as you may imagine. So let's just go with the idea that I am going to have to be my own engineer in at least some cases.

In light of the above, and considering that I use either a Neumann TLM 102 or CAD E100s for my recordings, which are done in a nice, large, quiet, and properly treated vocal booth in a separate building of my home, what would be your recommendations?

Thank you all in advance.

Jake
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(subs)

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mic + pre + computer-thingy + properly treated room all knobs at 12 o'clock

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things... production studios may not want you to edit and such, but many end users without facilities need you to or want you to deliver a finished product. It’s useful to have the ability.

I don’t know most of the equipment you mentioned, but anything with Manley in the name is usually very expensive and very high quality.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
JakeLester

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everybody!

Jake
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you noted, much of what we are asked to supply is clean and dry, two simple tasks which are deceptively tricky. IIRC, that UAD deal was getting one for free, so there's no reason not to take advantage of it.

Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it, though... Laugh
If in doubt, don't.

The VoxBox set (mmmmm.... Manley) is probably the most immediately useful for VO, and the one that I hear mentioned as "in the chain" most often by others. But, as others already cautioned - a _light_ touch and knowing what you are doing is key. But that one is likely the tool which will apply the least inherent coloration to the sound, so you can resist the urge to crank things to 11.

That's where less is more, and having others give feedback to your settings/results is exceptionally helpful.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan and user of Neve (Portico 5032) and Manley (Langevin CR3A made in Chino) products in my chain. Great reproduction of voice and performance reliablity.
If you are confident in your hardware your mind is free to concentrate on the most important task at hand. Your performance.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Apollo Twin Mk II Reply with quote

JakeLester wrote:
(snip) the Manley Voxbox, SSL 4000e, Neve 88rs, and API Vision channel strips. I would also like to know whether there are other UAD plugins that you would recommend.(snip)

Thank you all in advance.

Jake

I have all of these.

Any will work just fine.

Something relative new and super easy to work with also is the "Century Tube Channel strip." It's practically "idiot proof."

Note that the Manley Voxbox and the Century Tube Strip do not have the capability of downward expansion if any sort of addition ambient noise reduction is required. The rest do have this ability. In that area, I've found the SSL 4000e seems to have a bit more transparent way of doing this. Similar in some ways to a properly adjusted 286.

Truthfully, in the end it's the performance. A great performance with so-so equipment will kick the ass of a poor performance...regardless of what equipment is being used.

Good luck. Laugh
JakeLester

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, everybody. I ended up buying the the Manley and the SSL.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the manley and SSL here too. Got to say that after a while the novelty wore off. I can't state, hand on heart, that UAD plug-ins perform any better than Waves or other native processors.

To echo what's already said, a good mic and pre in a good room is what you need. Twist it around anyway you want, but that's really it.
JasonSound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While UA stuff generally sounds nice, I agree with Dayo. Other options perform just as well.

One limitation to consider with UAD plugins. They are hardware dependent. You cannot use UAD plugins without a UA interface or card attached. If you travel with a different interface, or your UA device becomes inoperable, you will not have access to the UA plugins.

I occasionally edit and mix without an interface attached, so the UAD products do not work with my workflow. Something to consider when setting up your processing chain.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Apollo Twin MKII with the Manley VoxBox plug in. I'm pretty impressed with it. The plug-ins are what make this unit even though the Apollo pre-amp is still pretty good by itself. I got some help setting it up with my booth environment that I record in to dial in the EQ and eliminate as much of the boxiness sound the booth has as much as possible. Other than the fact that it runs a little hot, I am very happy with it. The only thing that I don't like is the that you have to keep muting, turning down or turning off your monitors when recording. It's a pain. My old Apogee Duet IOS did this automatically but for some reason UA has not thought about that feature in the Apollo. Still....The Apollo with the Manley Voxbox plugin is a really nice sound.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen

As for muting the monitors, I'm guessing there's a way you could hook up a simple foot switch linked to the output mute on the Console software; that might make the process a bit easier....

Colin
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Colin. Thanks for the tip.

glenn
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Moore wrote:
I use the Apollo Twin MKII with the Manley VoxBox plug in. I'm pretty impressed with it. The plug-ins are what make this unit even though the Apollo pre-amp is still pretty good by itself. I got some help setting it up with my booth environment that I record in to dial in the EQ and eliminate as much of the boxiness sound the booth has as much as possible. Other than the fact that it runs a little hot, I am very happy with it. The only thing that I don't like is the that you have to keep muting, turning down or turning off your monitors when recording. It's a pain. My old Apogee Duet IOS did this automatically but for some reason UA has not thought about that feature in the Apollo. Still....The Apollo with the Manley Voxbox plugin is a really nice sound.

Just mute your mic channel in Console and that will stop the feedback loop. No button pushing required between recording and playback.

I also run the Manley and SSL on my Arrow and have only great things to say about them. They seemed very easy to dial in compared to a lot of equipment I've used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: