VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

De-breather like a de-clicker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: De-breather like a de-clicker? Reply with quote

Gang,

I use Adobe Audition, and I like it- I like their targeted de-clicking software, their spectral EQ layout, a lot of their mastering / preamp simulators, etc

I’m totally getting izotope.... which is software, right? I’m sure I can get tutorials on youtube

What do you guys do to get rid of breaths, or reduce their volume? I’ve heard that twisted wave has a great program for that for audiobooks, but then is your process different for commercials? Is that synonymous with a ‘noise gate’?

Thankyou thankyou

-Ian
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Audition as well... and I have RX6. It's a great combination.

However, I have never met a de-breath plug-in that I like (or that works properly). I always find that they take out stuff that they shouldn't, and as I have to check what they've done... I may as well deal with the excessive breaths manually. There isn't one that I'm happy to run and not review what carnage it may have caused on the file (unlike the RX6 mouth de-click, which I trust completely).

This actually raises the issue of why you need one. For short-form, it's a waste of time and energy... just doing it manually if needed. If you are doing long-form I understand the need to cut down on editing time, but usually for long form it can start to sound a little freaky if you de-breath excessively. Manually remove the asthmatic gasp for air at the start of a paragraph and leave (most of) the rest in... hit them with 6~12dB of attenuation if they're too noticeable.

Well... that's what works for me anyway.

Oh... and noise gates are the devil's work. Only use sparingly if you absolutely need to to kill any slight background noise. A gate set to take out an audible breath will wreak havoc with the rest of the file... truncated words and vicious pumping!
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Bish!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Waves De-Breath plug-in, but I hardly ever use it, largely because of the Catch-22 that Bish mentioned. For short form stuff, you might as well just edit the breaths individually. And for long form stuff, can you really trust that it will take out the breaths and not any non-breath sounds that are meant to remain? The way I get around that is, I have adjusted the setting to reduce breaths by 70%, rather than remove them entirely. I have found that works well, but still, I almost never use it, and when I do, it's more a function of getting my $30 worth than actually needing it.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question: Are you really making breathing noises that are too loud, or are you just being too sensitive to them?

Then if they are distracting (too loud), the ultimate fix is to not record any loud breaths in the first place. Take deeper breaths, don't empty your lungs all the way, and open your throat so the air doesn't make more noise against a constricted voice box than it needs to. If you're practicing good diaphragmatic breathing while you read you'll sound much better anyway.

Sometimes, certainly not always, breaths can actually be part of your narration, as an exclamation or a sign of exasperation or wistfulness.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig it!

That would be for audiobooks, but what about explainer vids? Is there really room for breaths in a medium like that?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the client wants it tight then snip snip is what ya gotta do. Otherwise soft, natural breaths work for most reads as well as everyday conversations.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
...the ultimate fix is to not record any loud breaths in the first place.

In addition to Bruce's suggestions, many times breaths can be "magnified" by being closer to the mic than we need to be and/or an overuse of compression. My personal taste: especially for long-form narration, constantly hitting peak level (like the sound of radio stations) becomes tiresome on the ear after only a few minutes. I prefer to produce and listen to audio that has decent dynamic range (a more natural sound).

And, for the same reason as Bish, I also do not use a plugin for breaths. Breaths are far too variable (almost like fingerprints: no two are exactly alike) and a plugin can too easily clip off the soft beginnings and endings of words. I remove the breath at the beginning of paragraphs and drop noticeable breaths by usually -10db, leaving all others alone. Unless they're really abnormally loud, people don't even consciously hear breaths.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: