VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demos for consideration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenparel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Demos for consideration Reply with quote

Hi all. New to the VO-BB, thanks to George Whittam (George the Tech), whom I had the pleasure of hearing a few weeks ago at a Denver area Meetup. He highly recommended this site!

I have a couple of demos I have been working on myself for some time now. Neither has been used for marketing, so I am just curious about initial impressions such as sound quality, the reads, whatever. If anyone is so gracious as to offer some feedback, I would be very grateful and appreciative.

Thanks for including me on the site!
Ken Parelman

https://soundcloud.com/user-197985016/kparelman-commercial-demo-2018
https://soundcloud.com/user-197985016/kparelman-narration-demo-2018
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio quality is fine and dandy! The "reads" in the commercial demo were too large, too affected, over inflected! You are not wrong it's simply that your voice, your sound doesn't need to do that. From you, a wink, a half smile or a nod of the head will be more than enough.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound weird but I feel you over enunciate some words, especially for the legitimately casual read style you exhibit.

The odor control underwear thing didn't grab me. I'd put it to the end or kill it. Just my opinion.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
kenparel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Bruce and Phillip. Both of you picked up on the critique I often get, which is that I overenunciate, even in the casual reads. I've been an English teacher for 25 years and have always taken pride in my articulation. Not a "habit" that is so easy to break.
Ken
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo what Bruce and Philip said. Yes, an English teacher should indeed articulate well. A voice actor needs to have personality and be conversational. I hear you trying so hard to enunciate with pride, you are sacrificing who you are. It's your personality that will get noticed, not how well you over enunciate. Relax and tell the story. Put yourself in the read and don't even think about selling how well you enunciate.
kenparel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. It's not so much that I am trying to enunciate, it has become my natural way of speaking, obviously to a fault. I really meant that I do need to unlearn. In the process of getting with a coach soon.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenparel wrote:
Thanks Bob. It's not so much that I am trying to enunciate, it has become my natural way of speaking, obviously to a fault. I really meant that I do need to unlearn. In the process of getting with a coach soon.

Coach first, then demo. Your horse is before the cart. But your talent is there, which is great! Don’t rush, and don’t even think demo or read critique until you have thoroughly trained. It’s like asking for surgery critique before medical school. Think of your mic as their scalpel. Both need to be put down until ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: