VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

De-clicker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn Benson
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: De-clicker Reply with quote

From time to time, ok, a lot, I have way too much mouth noise. In general and while recording. The de-clicker helps a great deal. My question is does anyone use this tool on long form recording? Audiobook chapters are the challenge. I know going over the whole thing and taking care of each one is one way, but it is tedious. Whatcha think and whatcha do?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two most common bits of advice I’ve seen here are mouth hygiene and hydration, meaning brush your teeth before sessions and drink a decent amount of water before a session. If milk bothers you with phlegm that’s something to avoid too. There is some de-click software which I’m sure someone will link to here as well.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rely on Izotope RX.
I can hydrate and brush and blah blah blah but certain phoneme combinations simply create explosions under my tongue from time to time.

Sometimes I'll apply it to the part of the recording where the trouble is, other times, I'll just process the whole track.

I have RX4.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izotope has two different de-click products. The newer one is Mouth De-Click, which, as the name implies, is especially for mouth noises. The standard De-Click comes as part of the RX-6 suite (even the lite version that periodically goes on sale for $29). The latter is what I have and, while I don't use it often, I have found it to do an excellent job of dealing with mouth noise without removing sounds that are intended to remain.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Mouth De-Click Reply with quote

Removing mouth clicks from e-learning recordings by hand has become my standard routine, and I have become quite skilled at spotting the little offenders in TwistedWave.

Mouth De-Click is a great tool Smile

On odd thing recently happened regarding mouth clicks for me. I had a tooth removed and braces put on my front lower teeth. The teeth are moving and it changed my bite.

On Thursday I was in a studio with my favorite engineer. He told me that I had less mouth clicks than normal. It must have to do with the bite, and most of my mouth clicks are really teeth clicks.

Could it be the same for you ?

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Lynn Benson
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comments all. One question about the software is whether or not it is detrimental to the entire audio. A 40 min track is a lot to de-click.

I have not as of yet used any products on my noisy mouth. A good rinse with champagne should be nice. One other idea is to fill my offending mouth with cotton or sand.

I admit to using audacity and there is a plug-in de-clicker that does the job. Just not sure I want to run it on a full noisy chapter or do the right thing and go one at a time.

Tshth!xs for the input
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found anything better than Izotope rx6 Mouth deClick on bad days. For me it works well on the default setting. I get no artifacts. I was told on long form files they should be done in sections. The longest I've ever done at a shot was about 30 minutes and there were no issues.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mel said. RX6 Mouth DeClick works extremely well without leaving any artifacts. Play with the settings to find the combination that works with your speech patterns. I use it on everything except the shortest recordings.
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. RX6 changed my life. I confidently use it on files of any length.

I've had the Standard tool set since RX5, when the only de-click was the "De-Click". RX6 brought the refined version - Mouth De-Click - which is noticeably more effective.

The Izotope RX Elements package is a set of 4 plug-ins, one of which is the De-Click (the RX5 version). You can coax it the direction of the newer Mouth De-click, but that improvement alone makes the standalone RX version worth it.

Most of the useful tools in the full version work as plug-ins, so can be accessed through almost any DAW. And the standalone version gets you a really nice spectral editing tool. And all kinds of scripting/bulk processing goodness.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the poster child for obsessing about mouth clicks! RX6 is either my best most indispensable tool, or my crack cocaine. I find the mouth declicker fantastic and run a light pass on pretty much everything I submit, long or short.

Izotope has a cool demo video of the mouth declicker.

https://youtu.be/_pADGMN7sPQ

One trick I've discovered recently is to run a pass of the regular declicker in addition to the mouth declicker. For some reason, the general declicking tool catches a lot of clickityclackity "T"s and "C"s that get missed by the mouth declicker. Possibly because the algorithm/voodoo/settings/whatever for the mouth declicker is more likely to ignore isolated clicks and focuses more on those that pop up in the middle of a vowel sound. Or possibly because... heck, I gots no clue. But it does catch stuff the other one misses.

iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Izotope compatible with Adobe Audition or just for protools?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Izotope plug-ins are compatible with Adobe Audition, or any other editing program that uses VST plug-ins.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Thank you, sir

I like the de-clicker software with AA for targeted clicks, but for say an audiobook that would be totally time-prohibitive

-I
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week, I had a 40 slide VO to record, and my normal procedure is to record the whole thing in one go, and every time I make a mistake, I use a dog clicker to mark the spot, re-read the offending line and forge ahead. I then save the file, give the whole thing whatever processing I'm going to give it, and then cut the first slide, paste it to a new file, clean up whatever needs cleaning, name and save it, then do the same with the second, third, etc.

This week, I happen to have a loose molar, and that has produced a few random clicks throughout my recordings. So, my 40 slide master file needed to be de-clicked. As I mentioned before, I have found the regular RX-6 de-click plug-in perfectly serviceable for mouth clicks whenever I've used it, with the exception of one instance in which it removed something that wasn't a click. And that was easily corrected. So I ran the entire file through the RX-6 de-clicker, and, unfortunately, it completely removed all my dog clicker clicks along with the ones I actually wanted to remove. I had to undo the operation and then select each section between the dog clicks and de-click them one section at a time. I imagine Mouth De-Click would differentiate between mouth clicks and dog clicks and remove only the ones I wanted gone, but in the end, it was only about 5-10 minutes extra work for me.
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izotope all the way. For the time saving alone it is worth the money.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: