VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O.T.: DVRs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: O.T.: DVRs Reply with quote

Because I don't watch very much television (haven't for at least 10 years), I don't follow TV technology. A new drama set to begin in September is scheduled to air in the same time slot as a news program I watch daily. So I want to be able to record one of them, but don't have the slightest idea what I need.

I have digital cable TV; the converter box connects to the audio/video monitor via HDMI. I have no need or desire for any extra capabilities (I don't even know what's available), etc; just basic - but PROGRAMMED - recording and playback from/to the existing setup.

Is buying a DVR similar to what buying a VCR was back in the days of butter churns? What else do I need to consider? Can someone please point me in the right direction to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many multi-channel video services out there that you may want to look at them versus buying recording equipment. Also, if you have an iTunes account you can just purchase individual shows and seasons if that’s all you want.

You can run these through your computer, or like we have through an Apple TV box ($150 new) or many folks like a Roku box.

We have Hulu at about $10 per month and they carry many, but not every, popular network show out there and make them available for weeks and months. They also offer a commercial free option for not much more. YouTube TV, which is different than regular YouTube, is like a DVR in the cloud with 30+ channels including local TV. It’s about $35 per month. Also out there are Netflix, Amazon Prime and several other show creators. We’re fans of British shows so we get Britbox through our Amazon account fairly cheap.

The stinker among providers is CBS. They don’t seem to align with anyone so you have to pay them $10 a month for the commercial free option.

A lot of options for just getting one show, but DVRs are so 2015 these days. Rolls Eyes

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: many cable providers now offer DVR service in the cloud at a pretty low price. Might be an option for you.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: