VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local Cable TV Spot Rate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Local Cable TV Spot Rate Reply with quote

What's the "going rate" for :30 local cable TV spots? I'd been doing spots for a producer in my area for a number of years at $50, and now I'm being offered $30 (the advertiser is having a 30th anniversary sale, but there was no reference to that in the lower offer). I'm afraid that, if I were to accept a lower rate now, after years of getting a higher rate, I'd never see the higher rate again.

(The GVAA rate guide doesn't have a category specifically for local cable.)

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With local cable companies it's pretty much what you two can agree upon. It's a down and dirty playground there.... cheap production values and cheap rates. When I couldn't get them to budge off $50/spot several years ago I said goodbye.

Speaking of cheap I have two small town ad agencies I've been working with for most of 20 years and it's been a battle to get them out of small town pay. We're loyal and courteous to each other so I keep hanging in there but it's hard some days.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
With local cable companies it's pretty much what you two can agree upon. It's a down and dirty playground there.... cheap production values and cheap rates. When I couldn't get them to budge off $50/spot several years ago I said goodbye.

Speaking of cheap I have two small town ad agencies I've been working with for most of 20 years and it's been a battle to get them out of small town pay. We're loyal and courteous to each other so I keep hanging in there but it's hard some days.

B

Hi Bruce! You can thank these folks for helping to set that 'standard' many years ago, in an astonishing # of markets: https://www.speedyspots.com/rates

The goal, (and it's been pretty prolifically fulfilled), was to target local cable-systems and in-house TV prod. depts. with turnkey cheap AVO. All at the huge and sad expense of the talent - who in actuality are paid something like 10 bucks per spot - while the "house" takes the other 40. For that ten bucks the talent provides, three fully edited, ready-for-post "clean" Takes per order. Learned about this many years ago, at the dawn of the commoditization and P2P 'race-to-the-bottom' craze, aka 'disruption' that infested the landscape link stinkbugs in living rooms...

Just a few fun facts from a proud union supporter; )

Saying something since 1970-
something
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Yup... Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

B

Hi Bruce! You can thank these folks for helping set that 'standard'
many years ago, in an astonishing # of markets: www.speedyspots.com/rates

The goal, (and it's been pretty prolifically fulfilled), was to target local cable-systems and in-house TV prod. depts. with turnkey cheap AVO. All at the huge and sad expense of the talent who were/are paid something like
10 bucks per spot - while the "house" takes the other 40.

For that 10 bucks the talent provides, three fully edited, ready-for-post "clean" Takes per order. Any market size & perpetuity usage.

First despised this operation years ago, at the dawn of the commoditization and P2P 'race-to-the-bottom' (aka 'disruption') craze that infested the vo landscape. Yet another reason, I support my Union. No matter how much reform and modernization it needs - and yes it does - it's fundamental purpose and ideals are as relevant as ever.

Cheers,

Mike

Saying something since 1970-
something
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup... Reply with quote

vox1 wrote:

Hi Bruce! You can thank these folks for helping set that 'standard'
many years ago, in an astonishing # of markets: www.speedyspots.com/rates

The goal, (and it's been pretty prolifically fulfilled), was to target local cable-systems and in-house TV prod. depts. with turnkey cheap AVO. All at the huge and sad expense of the talent who were/are paid something like
10 bucks per spot - while the "house" takes the other 40.

For that 10 bucks the talent provides, three fully edited, ready-for-post "clean" Takes per order. Any market size & perpetuity usage.

If you will allow me...

Here are some of my observations on this marketing model...

It sounds like they've found some Radio guys to do voices for them.

Understanding that in many smaller radio markets the DJ's Voice multiple spots every day for FREE. They get paid NOTHING extra for it. It's expected.

And voice-wise...not ALL of these guys totally suck.

I suppose if you could convince them to knock out a few extra spots per day..even at 10 bucks a throw...

It's an extra 150 to 200 per week.

Sadly, depending on what crap money they are getting paid...I could see why they might could be persuaded.

The end result is as you see. Small market DJ's making a little. Master-mind marketers make a killing by dealing with volume over quality. Cable companies...well they are happy to save the money.

The loser in this equation is the VO talent who didn't get the job.

Such is the ugly nature of economics and natural selection where, in many cases, "the cheapest wins."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: