VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's considered 'national'?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: What's considered 'national'? Reply with quote

I'm talking with a potential client and he says that the spots they're looking to record would air on the CBS Sports Net (not the parent network).
I gave him a national rate (TV) that's actually below the standard rate in that this could be a recurring gig.
My question here is: CBS Sports Net IS technically considered a national network, right?
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's considered 'national'? Reply with quote

Moosevoice wrote:

I gave him a national rate (TV) that's actually below the standard rate in that this could be a recurring gig.?

Just a bit of advice aside from the question you asked. "Could be..." doesn't mean it WILL be, and now you've painted yourself in a corner. IMO, a recurring gig is a "regular" client and that takes a long time to establish. On the P2P sites many will try to lowball you by saying "This could be a recurring gig". When it BECOMES a recurring gig then it might be right to give your client a "Preferred Client Rate", but now if that same client comes back to you for another spot down the road, they're going to expect the same "below standard rate".

You won't entice a client to come back by offering a lower rate. You'll entice a client to come back by your work.

My opinion (and of course everyone has one)... Your rate is your rate is your rate. Use it and adjust it if you must for what happens down the road, but don't change it for what "might" happen down the road, because "mights" rarely "do".

www.rickrileyvoice.com

Last edited by Rick Riley on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

National, as far as pricing is concerned, is not who COULD see it but who is LIKELY to see it. The Bow Fiddle Rock is in Scotland and anyone in Scotland could see it but the majority are unlikely to see it.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a case where going through an agent might be helpful. A good one should have sources that guide them to a good rate quote. CBS Sports is I'm guessing a good medium sized network.

Also, as in your signature here I hope you're not promoting your affiliation with Voice123 to clients and prospects. It does not speak well towards your position in the world of network voiceover.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
as in your signature here I hope you're not promoting your affiliation with Voice123 to clients and prospects. It does not speak well towards your position in the world of network voiceover.

B

I'm not promoting my v123 affiliation but I didn't realize that I SHOULDN'T be in the first place. Why is this a no-no? Stigma?
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm not promoting my v123 affiliation but I didn't realize that I SHOULDN'T be in the first place. Why is this a no-no? Stigma?

More than one reason. Here are 2...

1. You realize that when someone goes to your profile on V123, they are offered other voices that sound like you...

2. You want to cultivate your own personal clients, so sending them to V123 will side-track that effort.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 - Bess barks at it.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, no, I'm not promoting my voice123 to clients. Sorry Bess.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done a statistical analysis of our membership's comments and reactions to the P2P debate, but in my 13 years on this board (I just celebrated my anniversary) I would say that the vast majority of members feel that voices123 is considered the second most vile organization-pretending-to-be-a-voice-talent's-friend-while-actually-disrupting-and-debasing-that-very-industry-before-our-eyes while a similarish organization in Canada is the most vile organization-pretending-to-be-a-voice-talent's-friend-while-actually-disrupting-and-debasing-that-very-industry-before-our-eyes. That's all.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want it to become one of those threads, but second place in the "most vile" category goes to Voice Realm... some would even argue that they're a strong contender for first place.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"National" is a widely used term...but generally, if it's National (Class A) use, it applies to the 4 big Networks - ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX.
everything else is either: wild buy-per market, cable, internet, or local market rates
CBS Sports Net broadcasts on satellite & cable, and digitally, so it would be billed at the cable or internet rate, or a combination of both, depending on how they intend to use the recording. I would be very surprised if the client doesn't already know what the rates are.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lunch with a buddy of mine who is an agent here in LA. He told me there's a recent trend of non union actors submitting for representation, with a body of "national" spots that they are both proud of and think gives them clout. But they do not bring clout.

National spots close more doors than open. The conflicts that come with a national spot, even non union, prevent more work while the spot is still in cycle. Plus if it's non union the actor as well as the agent do not see subsequent residuals. So these actors aren't bringing much to the table for the agent to represent.

Non union actors feel a sense of career accomplishment with a non union national spot because of the national exposure. Their voice being heard from coast to coast. That does indeed feed the ego. And it might even come with a nice payday. But that payday will more than likely be a fraction of Class A usage. This is not a concept most pursuing vo relate to today. And it's also why it is so frustrating for the non union actor who sees so many on a daily basis take such lowball fees for large exposure gigs.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting at a rate "below the standard rate" is never a good start (from the perspective of whoever offers that rate) to a negotiation.

Offering a low rate for what "could" become a recurring gig says "If you're willing to underpay me this time, I'm willing to let you underpay more often in the future."

Promoting your V123 link to anyone means that you're sending them to a place where they'll be just 1 click away from tens of thousands of other people who do what you do. Promote your own site instead.

Sadly, there's no shortage of 'organization-pretending-to-be-a-voice-talent's-friend-while-actually-disrupting-and-debasing-that-very-industry-before-our-eyes' sites.
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone who is considering joining the union...can someone explain the classifications of National spots?

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tre M. wrote:
For someone who is considering joining the union...can someone explain the classifications of National spots?

Class A is national network feed. On a Class A air schedule, all talent on the project gets paid a descending fee for each airplay, beginning with the session fee. That's the only "national" spot classification I've ever acknowledged. Everything else that might end up running in multiple markets across the country is considered a "wild" spot, meaning that it's placed on individual stations and talent gets paid a flat fee, plus market points, for a 13 week run. Then there is cable, which is similar to a wild spot fee but without the market points. Now, a wild spot might air in several markets, which some people like to boast as "national", as they will also boast about a cable spot, but to cover all the markets with national exposure, it is normally a spot that is run on a Class A network feed.
If a client ever says,"This is going to run nationally", you can bet money that they already know what the real rates are and are hoping you don't, and that you might offer them a flat fee, even if it's a higher fee than you'd normally charge. Because, if it really does run as a national spot and you've given them a flat non-union fee, you've saved them a lot of money.
Remember...clients always know what the costs are when they plan the project, just like a game warden always knows the answer to the question before he asks you,"how many birds did you get today?".

here is a link to all the rates that are currently active.

https://www.sagaftra.org/prod-center/contract/350/rate-sheet/document
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: