VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Much Much More Than A Mattress Sale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Much Much More Than A Mattress Sale Reply with quote

Memorial Day is coming and while it might be your chance to get a deal on a new mattress, it's supposed to be a time to remember those who have lost their lives in battle while in service to America, in wars that were worthy of the sacrifice and a few maybe not so much. No matter. They died serving our country and the ideals we hold dear.

I remember having college friends and acquaintances who got drafted, went to 'Nam, and that there were a few who didn't come back. Sadly, after the decades that have passed I'm struggling to remember their names and faces. They haven't been around to remind me I guess. Nonetheless, I shall salute them.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly....luckily my Dad and Uncles mad it back. Took a lot of mental rehab too, but they're here.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear!

(Editorial: the retail industry and consumerism have far too much influence.)

Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Veterans Day, our pastor has all of the vets stand up in church. Lots of applause. I'm standing there thanking God I never had to go into country. I was a Navy Photographer on a Carrier. Safe & secure. Only one guy in my high school graduating class of 600, in 1966, was kia on 2/14/1970. Called the Vietnam Valentines Day massacre. The only other encounter I had with death was shooting the autopsy of a 18 year old kid that was killed on board the ship... 3 weeks before I got married. I remember them all on Memorial Day, and always stand up on Veterans Day.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a video from a good friend yesterday (not to share, but it moved me).

some of you might remember the silly, novelty item a buddy & i made - the "Beverage Bearing Cradle" - mounts a can holder to your rifle. anyway - this "good friend" gave one to a wounded navy seal - amputee, burns, head injury - and the guy's eyes lit up, his smile was a mile wide, and it about broke my heart. his friends & family were laughing & joking with him - it was a beautiful thing.

melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Memorial Day comes on May 3rd of every year. This year marks 73 years since that date in 1945 when, after a forced march - a death march -across Austria under brutal conditions, more than 4000 American prisoners of war from World War II's infamous POW camp STALAG 17B were liberated by General Patton's army as they made camp in a forest. My father was one of those "Kriegies", as the POW's called themselves, and the "trek" of roughly 3 weeks was the end of many months, more than a year in my dad's case, of life under conditions most of us are fortunate we will never know.

With Russian troops closing in from the east, the Germans marched the prisoners west towards the American lines, figuring on better treatment from the Americans than the Russians. The march was brutal, and many of the men didn't make it. Fortunately my dad did. Those who did make it found in themselves a strength and resilience most of us will never have the need to look for. And some, as weak as they were, still found the strength through sheer will-power, to help others even weaker than themselves.

5 years ago I attended the final reunion of POW's from Stalag 17B. Not many of the men were still around - my dad is long gone - and the rest are almost all gone today. I'm still in touch with many of the other "Kriegie Kids".

The next time you're watching old movies and happen upon Stalag 17 take a second to note how close you are to a man who lived that, in real life, for 18 months. Then instead of buying a mattress, think of the men who didn't survive the camp, or the death march. And think of all the others, in all the other wars, who gave their lives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: