VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GDPR: What do we self-employed need to know/do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: GDPR: What do we self-employed need to know/do? Reply with quote

How does GDPR relate to us as self-employed independent contractors?

Tim Jackson

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have gotten into my foggy understanding. This should not be taken as fact, just my understanding. There is a ton of information out there, and that is part of the problem.

1) If you don't have European clients yet, learn real facts about GDPR. There are real fines for getting it wrong.

2) If you do have European dwellers in your database, you need to re-confirm their interest in receiving any sort of newsletter-y sort of thing from you before 5/25. Anything that is not a 1:1 correspondence. If they don't respond within a 'reasonable time' to your asking them to re-confirm, you need to remove them from your newsletter database. You need to capture how and when you got that confirmation in your database.

3) It is a little less clear to me about 1:1 emails. If you have an ongoing relationship, I think it is OK to reach out occasionally to stay top of mind (but I could be VERY wrong on that). It would be smart to get a confirmation, like above, even for this sort of thing.

It boils down to this: You need to document that you have explicit permission to send anything coming from a mailing list. You can't make signing up for a perk (such as a whitepaper, etc.) dependent on getting on your mailing list. You can't present an opt-out scenario for staying off the mailing list, it must be an explicit opt-in. If they ask to be removed you must purge them from your database.

Anyone else want to clarify?
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably have a few European clients on my Quarterly eNewsletter and they have been there for years with no requests to be removed from the list.

The list is about 300 people. I suppose I could carve out some time to go over it and see who is in Europe. Maybe I'll do that before next Quarter.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what professional newsletter company Mail Chimp has to say about it and what they're doing for their clients. What I'm not seeing in this is what happens if you don't seek permission, but let's just say most European countries have had some pretty gruesome ways of dealing with transgressions in the past.

Mail Chimp advice

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does GDPR affect ONLY businesses with European clients who are on a mailing list?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: