VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member -Online Order Page Critique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjringwall

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: New Member -Online Order Page Critique Reply with quote

Hello, I'm C.J. Ringwall - would like to introduce myself to this community.

My website and demos are at https://cjvoiceover.us

But mainly i'd like you to take a look at an online order page that is currently not live, but I'd like your feedback on my process. You can enter data and purchase - it's in test mode so no money is collected at this time. What am I not collecting that I should? Frank feedback is welcome. I'm new and I'm here to learn.

https://cjvoiceover.us/order/
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as someone who often hires talent, i wouldn't do this.

if i think your voice is right for a project i'll send you: (1) an audition request or (2) an actual job with budget, details, etc for you to either accept or decline.

it's hard enough getting work in this business in the 1st place. don't make folks that want to pay you jump through additional hoops.

jmho

Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Member -Online Order Page Critique Reply with quote

Quote:
Frank feedback is welcome.

"Paging Mr. Frank Frederick!!"
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are trying to do address two completely different audiences right now on your website. Do you want paid work, or do you want to network with other newbies?

I agree with Todd. Drop the Order page.

Additionally, I would drop the newsletter sign up. You want to target the people with the money to pay you for your work. As it is right now, you are talking to people who want to do the same thing you are, not paying clients.

This next paragraph could use some work as well...it is trying to do too much.

Quote:
I invite you to listen to samples of my work. I do most of my own writing, recording and production, or can work with the studio of your choice. I've also re-created some ads in my demo you may have seen or heard elsewhere - so you can hear my range.

With the video player right up front, there is no need to "invite" anyone to listen. And the last line - while I understand that you don't want people to think that you actually were paid to voice these spots - there isn't really any need to say this. I would suggest stripping the audio from the video demos and creating just a short audio demo that includes shorter pieces from these clips to show your range. Listen to some other examples from talent using VoiceZam to see how they assemble their clips. You could use a few more. Don't create full videos, just work on delivering good reads with good copy. That will likely involve working with a coach to help you pinpoint your strengths.

And I would separate your voice work from your writing and production skills. If you are targeting small businesses that need a copywriter and full production, then create a page just for that. That might be a good place for the full video clips, so that you can explain your production skills.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, this is so wrong on so many levels. We are not a discount warehouse. There is no such thing as "no-risk order". We don't use widely unknown payment services like "Stripe".

Professional producers don't fill out order forms. Because we are professionals dealing with other professionals we don't "watermark" audio files. We don't go into detail about what happens if the customer wants changes in your read. That's an understood situation in professional work.

First, you need to do a lot more research on how professional voice talents market their work and see if you can develop a your own professional approach. There's so much you need to learn but here are some basic philosophies:

Act like you are a professional voice talent with some years under your belt, but DON'T LIE about your time in the business. Act like everyone who visits your page is professional producer (buyer) with many years in the business, and DON'T TREAT THEM LIKE NEWBIES, RUBES, OR CHILDREN, explaining how commercials are ordered and created, and paid for.

Don't offer only full length videos of your work up front. Most professional visitors will not spend the time to watch. Visit lots of professional voiceover websites to get an idea of what demos should sound like. Then as an extra added attraction you can display videos of your work.

I think you're opening yourself up some liability if you produce full length commercials that you never voiced for those clients. A good professional producer doesn't need to (or usually want to) see a full length made up commercial. And DON'T EXPLAIN how you made these. The people you really want to pay attention to your work ALREADY DO THAT FOR A LIVING.

Sorry to go on like this but what you're presenting is so against the grain of what we do and what works in our business. You put a lot of effort into this but in my opinion it has been misguided.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good points here... I'll just add that regardless of the quality, you shouldn't put any political spots up front-and-centre. You should never give anyone an opportunity to reject you because of religion/politics/shoe size... unless you are targeting those markets in particular... and it's not just getting another political spot... you may lose out on a toothpaste spot because the producer doesn't like your politics.
cjringwall

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your taking the time to look my site over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: