VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resumes: on website or by request only?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Resumes: on website or by request only? Reply with quote

The topic of VO resumes has come up before, but I'm curious to know what the consensus is on how they should be provided: posted on the website for anyone to see, or only sent on request.

Also, in my case, as I rarely do commercial work, is it necessarily a bad thing if there are few, if any, commercials on the resume?

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The total number of times I have been asked for my résumé in 40+ years of voiceover: 0

People hire us because of how we sound. They can get an idea of who we've worked for by listening to our demos, but otherwise they don't seem to give a poop about our history. Now I have an "About" page on my site, but other than that "witty" narrative, I have nothing prepared like that. http://brucemiles.com/wp/about/

For on-camera work and theater you bet I have résumés. They don't have easy access to my work in a live audition. But VO? No.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .

Last edited by Bruce on Wed May 09, 2018 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My resume is on my Linked In page!

I've got a number of disciplines to present, and I'm always looking for work in a variety of fields.
My website is the interactive presentation of stuff. People who'd want a resume are likely on Linked In anyway.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most VO websites what the VO writes is not what the poor sod who visits sees. Every over sold VO reads like the following.

Top International voice actor Philip Banks is a medium-sized, burrowing, nocturnal mammal native to Africa and Morayshire via Somerset. He is the only living species of the order Tubulidentata,although other prehistoric species and genera of Tubulidentata are known. Unlike other insectivores, he has a long pig-like snout hidden by charming deep brown eyes and charisma, which is used to sniff out food. He roams over most of the southern two-thirds of the African continent, avoiding areas that are mainly rocky except when near Cullen. A nocturnal feeder, he subsists on ants and termites, which he will dig out of their hills using his sharp claws and powerful legs. He also digs to create burrows in which to live and rear currys. He receives a "least concern" rating from the IUCN, although being a complete asshole hardly helps.

Philip, has the lowest vocal range of all voice types. According to The New Grove Dictionary of Opera, he is typically classified as having a vocal range extending from around the second E below middle C to the E above middle C (i.e., E2–E4). His tessitura, or comfortable range, is normally defined by the outermost lines of the bass clef. Categories of bass voices vary according to national style and classification system. Italians favour subdividing basses into the basso cantante (singing bass), basso buffo ("funny" bass), or the dramatic basso profondo (low bass). The American system identifies the bass-baritone, comic bass, lyric bass, and dramatic bass. The German fach system offers further distinctions: Spielbass (Bassbuffo), Schwerer Spielbass (Schwerer Bassbuffo), Charakterbass (Bassbariton), and Seriöser Bass. These classification systems can overlap. Rare is the performer who embodies a single fach without also touching repertoire from another category. Basically, Philip sounds like he smoked privet hedges as a child and drinks heavily.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Top International voice actor Philip Banks is a medium-sized, burrowing, nocturnal mammal native to Africa and Morayshire via Somerset.

And that's why we've chosen David Attenborough to narrate your life's story. Rowan Atkinson is our second choice in case Attenborough is not available.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been asked for my resume once. My headshot twice. Told my agent my headshot doesn’t sound like me.

I use IMDb for my resume and that is missing a good third of my career .

But unless it’s about a commercial conflict no one inquires.

When submitting for representation is when a resume might come in handy
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

And that's why we've chosen David Attenborough to narrate your life's story.

And Melissa Exelberth to narrate the "Making Of Philip's Life Story" story.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: