VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commercial Demo feedback please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JVOICE
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Commercial Demo feedback please Reply with quote

So I wrote all these myself (surprise surprise!) and I'm no copy writer. It's a start, if there's one you think I can keep let me know.

I could really use suggestions/tips on creating better copy for these things and some suggestions of what types/genre of material I should switch in as well.

I think I need to add something "silly" and something "hard sell" but not quite sure what. I've been pulling my inspiration off of ispot.tv mainly. Would love some ideas that would save me some time coming up with a script.

Thanks!

https://vocaroo.com/i/s13scnZqqPNz

(Don't listen to me, I'm new here.)
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with your copywriting.

To the informed ear there are more than a few "oh..ah ..no, not like that!" moments. Voice is just fine, just need a little comparative ear tuning. Teach yourself to really nit pick and you'll be fine.
JVOICE
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Philip, I appreciate the honest feedback. I will try to figure what those are and improve. I'm definitely a work in progress. Glad to hear the copy is decent enough. Cheers, J

Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humble but experienced advice. Spend the bucks and get someone like Chuck Duran to do your demo.

I’ve been in audio production all my working life (four decades). When I decided to get into voiceover, I went to Nancy Wolfson for coaching. I told her I made a demo to which she launched into her pitch about how Meryl Streep wouldn’t make her own demo, why would you... and about ten other reasons as well. She said, I’ll listen, but don’t be offended if I rip it apart. She listened to it three times, stopped and said, ‘This is f***ing GOOD. Do you do this for a living?’ Which the answer was, ‘Kind of... yeah’. And the conversation went on from there.

Truth... I do audio production. You don’t and it’s obvious you don’t. If you’re going to compete with those who do, and in VO, that’s EXACTLY what you’ll be doing, you need to hire someone who does not only audio production, but script writing and COACHING.

Chuck Duran’s demos are a process. A long, costly process but worth it for those who want to compete but can’t produce the tool they need to compete with, on their own. He will consult with you, hammer out a plan, write the copy, maybe point you to a coach to work with on the copy before he records you and then he will direct you. End result = a COMPETATIVE tool.

But caution. Don’t go for the demo unless you can deliver what’s ON the demo when you’re called on to do so. Coaching first if you haven't done so.

That’s my humble but experienced advice. Other’s humble but experienced advice may vary. Good luck!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
JVOICE
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I appreciate it! Particularly the specifics in your suggestions which are very helpful. I will look into that. That was part of the plan and I am saving for it. Attempting to keep myself busy in the meantime as well. Thanks again, J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: