VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guy "starting" VO as SAG-AFTRA member

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you do?
Stay full union and tough it out.
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Go Fi-core and flip as much as possible union.
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Go incognito for awhile until you get some $ and experience.
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Stay Union for awhile then go fi-core once broke!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

JVOICE
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: New guy "starting" VO as SAG-AFTRA member Reply with quote

Hello all,

Thanks for having me in your awesome community!

I'm pretty green to VO, regardless of all the classes, coaching, non-union VO work and my college radio DJ days (which I pine for.) I have set up a home studio which works for now and have been practicing and producing my own (poorly written) spots to create my first demo (well my first recent demo, which I will post for feedback shortly.)

Before I get into it I'll add that I work on-camera occasionally and am a SAG-AFTRA member. I'm pretty well informed on the pros/cons of both staying union and going fi-core. It took me quite awhile to pull the trigger and go union years ago because I wanted to be sure I'd be ready. I'm also aware of the possibility of using paymasters to flip work union. I've moved from LA to the NYC area last year and the auditions have dried up a bit so I've got the time and the passion to invest in making a VO career happen. Something I've been wanting to do since I left my radio DJ gig 26 years ago.

SO, the question is: With all of your knowledge and experience, what would you do in my shoes? Any and all tips and as much detail as you're willing to share please. Should I go incognito for awhile on the low-ball sites like fiver and voice bunny? Should I just go headfirst as a union member and see what pans out? (making improvements slowly and possibly booking nothing for quite awhile.) Should I go fi-core right away and take any and all work? Something in-between? Really most of these options make me a bit queasy.

Thanks for reading and for any help!

J

(Don't listen to me, I'm new here.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: