VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye Bye Facebook. Now what?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ McNicol
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of good options out there such as Gab and MeWe Gab is twitter like, while MeWe is FB absolutely like it without the advertising crap and control and data sharing. Also Steemit as well. Don't think Zuker actually owned fb in the first place. Your Options may vary.
Cheers
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think social media brings in easily 50% of my business, between Facebook and a Twitter. Trying to get into Instagram, but just haven't the discipline or consistency yet. But if you know how to make social media work for you, it's irreplaceable. Facebook included!!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Bob on this one.
Facebook keeps me in touch with the people who will eventually need me.

Plus, I get to show off pictures of my dining room spiff-up brought to you in part by a pneumatic nail gun borrowed from Mandy the Dandy.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite what I mean, Deebs. I don't have much of anything personal on Facebook. For me it's all business.

For example, I recently booked a gig. I connected with the producer of the gig on Facebook. With a ill surfing of his Facebook connections, I networked with another 60 buyers I didn't know and booked 5 more gigs.

But I do this with each audition or job, and not just with Facebook. Twitter, LinkedIn etc., this is how I network for future gigs. Every day. Most use social media socially, I use it as a virtual business dinner. All one needs is one real connection, and the networking is then endless!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anecdotal evidence supports nothing at all except that for the person involved, something worked.

Several years ago I met an audio engineer at VOX. We chatted about nothing particular. A few weeks later as a result of his suggestion to an ad agency I landed a national TV commercial paying over $20,000.

Several years ago at VOX Elisa Canas introduced me to her friend who was a commercial producer for a local radio station. That poor girl could not get away fast enough. Every time I see her at a VOX event and say hello she panics.

"OMG! That ****ing awful man wants lots of local radio ads from me!" Her ads pay, on average the UK UNION minimum rate of $35. My temptation when next we meet is to take her politely to one side. On my phone show her the credit balance of my business account and that of my personal account and follow that action with one question.

"Shelley, are you now sure that I do not need work for you, want work from you and that you will never have to avoid me for professional reasons?"

Of course, she may choose to avoid me for personal reasons and that would be ok. Laugh

Specious arguments regarding the pros and cons of Facetube are precisely that, specious! If it really works for someone either personally or professionally, fabluss. If you are unconvinced and feel the need to justify your actions to the world that's fabby too!

Here you go, with my compliments

QUOTE Philip Banks "Awesome! Y'know, you're SO right. Keep doing what you are doing! REESPECK!"

Here's your reply to my negative thoughts on Facetube.

"F*** YOU! Philip, I like doin' stuff on Facebook!"

Do I really have negative opinions about Facebook? No. It's like Liver Casserole. I've tried both, twice, not for me! You? Enjoy! Live and be happy.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
Not quite what I mean, Deebs. I don't have much of anything personal on Facebook. For me it's all business.

Yeah, I get that.

Having a place to share the personal stuff is a bonus, but honestly— it's a big part of the reason my professional pals stay in touch with me on Facebook.

It's the long haul. I'll meet an audio director and get work 5 years later.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it very useful for when I wanted to "be AMAZED at how the stars of 1980's US sitcoms look today!"

It was great to learn frequently how an awesome/coach/director/demo producer/part time expert gotten a voice actor bookened on an AWESOME voice job but never told how.

The joy of seeing people I didn't know with their arms around people I once met at the Chernobyl VO mixer lifted the spirits of this lonely, friendless man.

Sharing the delight in a far from sharp $3,000 VO demo being deconconstructed by a local radio imaging producer in a fly AROUND state. The demo broke that poor kid's bank account and the ill-informed feedback broke her heart.

We care to connect but we do not care to really connect. The one degree of separation afforded us by social media gives us endless excuses to detach from reality and our humanity. The licence that degree of detachment affords us connects us with the worst of our humanity if we allow it.

The trick is to really give something of yourself and allow others to do the same. You meet at a busy party, the conversation develops so you go outside where it's quiet and continue to really get to know one another. GET TO KNOW ONE ANOTHER? That's risky! True, but with no real risk there comes no real reward. Most of us. Most of you, don't take risks any more in anything. I do not believe you're missing out, I know you are! I'm not the boss of you, I'm not your wise counsel, your guru, your sage or parsley so do as you please. For the insecure amongst you, the above thoughts are not directed at anyone they are merely my random thoughts to consider, research, accept, reject or simply not get as far as this sentence and post something about how much faster your txt msgs are sent when it's snowing in Baltimore.

Choose your counsel wisely and be polite to everybody else.

Today, take a risk. You'll know it's a risk because your heart will beat a little faster. Today, enjoy today. Life does not come with a receipt because the policy of management is strictly NO REFUNDS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: