VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$500 gift card to Sweetwater. What would you do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: $500 gift card to Sweetwater. What would you do? Reply with quote

Hi, Everyone! Hisashiburi! (No, I didn't sneeze. It's Japanese for "Long time, no see!")

I was lucky enough to be a Unicorn Grant finalist at VO Atlanta this year (the parameters are kind of vague, something like "Someone who encapsulates the generosity of spirit of the VO community.") and one of the incredible benefits of just being a finalist is that I get a $500 gift card to my favorite audio store!

The question is, what do I do with it? I've got good mics (416, 103) I've got good interfaces (SPL Creon, Audient ID4, and I'm STILL waiting on that blasted Mixerface.) I've got a treated space, and all the accessories and sundries I can think of.

One thing I DON'T have though are studio monitors! Ideally I'd be able to use them inside my "Blanket booth" as it's easier than treating the rest of the room, but I'm only working with 40" of desk space width. To stay within budget, I'm looking at either the Presonus Eris E5 or the JBL 305 mkii (new and untested, but folks loved the previous versions, unfortunately they're discontinued at SW.) Between the monitors, isolating stands, and cables, I'm right at $450.

This seems like the most sensible option, but the question is, do I NEED monitors if I have great headphones (Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's) and largely do straight-laced mono track narration? Or will my hearing and sanity thank me for having the option of not wearing cans for 6+ hours a day?

Of course, I could also use this as credit to do a slew of review videos for items like the Sennheiser MK4 digital, or the Miktek procast mio, and THEN buy the monitors!

I'd love to hear your suggestions and recommendations, and thank you all so much for all you've contributed. I wouldn't have the setup I have now without it!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy stuff just because you have a Sweetwater voucher burning a hole in your pocket Smile

Honestly, if you don't need anything, put it to one side until you do. Personally, I like a nice set of monitors... I have Rokit 6 up on the wall at the moment, but the Rokit 5 units are well-liked if you need something smaller. There are a whole slew of monitors available under $200 each and despite rabid opinions about specific brands... they are all pretty much of a muchness... the ones you mention are fine. My monitors are for general listening as well... but for critical listening to your own recordings, your headphones are good.

Sweetwater is a great store because they have so much other stuff available... buy yourself a keyboard or guitar and some have fun. Sorry about the Mixerface... isn't it about time to write that investment off as a tax-loss?
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, Bish, your comments are far too insightful and level-headed for a Gear forum.

Again, lots to think about. If it goes that route, I likely will go with the E5’s, but I could also benefit from a dedicated studio desk, or that sweet Hofner bass ive had my eyes on for awhile!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Mixerface, who should count it as a tax loss? Me, or Michael Goldman from Centrance?

If me, what tax year? We're going on 4 now!
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if you have no speakers, get em.
what we hear through cans perceptually is VERY different from what we hear outside 'em. You need both references, both for your own work as well as comparing all manner of Stuff Out There.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John! I appreciate the input! (or should I say output? Terrible joke!)
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Hofner is the violin bass... that thing has a sweet, round, "thud" to it Smile

As far as speakers go... of course, I wholeheartedly agree with doing all your editing on a good set of cans, I use nothing else.

Sorry... I can't keep it up... I'm lying... I use my speakers all the time Smile But don't forget, you don't need critical ears if you're just proofing an audiobook of a long elearning piece. A set of monitors is invaluable and every studio should have a pair... even a set of Mighty Auratones will do at a pinch!
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're sending me mixed messages bish! Wink

But you're right about the Hofner, same style Paul McCartney used! (one of my favorite Bassists and performers.)

...And it comes in Black.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IgViolinTBLK--hofner-ignition-violin-bass-translucent-black
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor GS Mini in mahogany. Learn to play the blues. Get a real gig. Wink
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synths are nice to have around if you do production work at your place
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guitar?! If I thought I was good enough to play guitar, I wouldn't have learned bass! (only partially true, I love bass!)

I'm not doing a whole lotta production, and years of bassplaying have riddled my hands and elbows with tendonitis, so as much as I'd love an instrument, it might be best to wait. (I actually donated my last electric bass to a local school to force myself from trying to play before my hands were healed.)

Right now, monitors still look like my strongest option, and I even have the girlfriend's approval! Thank you everyone, for your help and recommendations!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean - as a recovering bass player, I keep floating through this page -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SRH500DEF

And those danged Squier Jazz models are too much instrument for too little $...

But, yeah - I ended up where you are a couple years ago. Still only use the freestanding monitors when I just need a break or want to hear something out in the real world. They are nice to shake up my perception of how something sounds - get me out of detail nit-picking mode.

I will say that the RX6 tools get used more than my monitors. But, I wouldn't want to choose between 'em.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to get your bassist perspective, Jim! That's a beautiful instrument!

Luckily, I have RX6, so I don't have to choose between em!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: