VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye Bye Facebook. Now what?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, "If anyone is surprised about the news of Facebook"
I worked in broadcast and long ago got which way the sale works... understood WHAT is for sale (viewers, who are NOT compensated for their usefulness... )
so it's not a surprise, but the combination of a 60's CLARITAS style statistics-crunching effort with the massive ability to detail psychological-response-profile details brings it to a whole new level. The privacy aspect is important.
How does one seal, secure and wall-off one's personal from one's business in that sort of system?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in other words -

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:

How does one seal, secure and wall-off one's personal from one's business in that sort of system?

Are you asking how to keep your business life and personal life separate? By not offering anything personal on Facebook. Use it for business only. It's actually really simple. Problem is, most don't do this and they are already knee deep in personal on social media.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go quite as far as Bob, with regard to not posting personal stuff, but my rule is basically the same: don't put anything online that you wouldn't want anybody in the world to see. Whether it's posting about your political or religious beliefs, or even what sports teams you support, if you wouldn't freely tell anyone and everyone, then you shouldn't post it anywhere. And the same goes for your profile information. If there's some reason you don't want people to know where you were born or went to high school, don't include that stuff in your profile. Same with your address and phone number.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking this through... I have about 50+ of my 300 "friends" on FB that really are friends (and family) that I would like to keep track of. If I tell them I'm quitting how many will actually pick up the phone and call me with news? How many will email me pictures of their children or adventures after posting them on FB? It looks like the solution (for me) is to never ever allow my data to be shared and use one of these data scrubbing apps out there to tidy my sordid (ha!) past.

And as a frustrated stand-up comedian wannabe, I do like making people laugh every so often. A few thumbs up and HaHa faces are reward enough for me.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see this thread took a turn for the obvious. I was going to point out that if data mining from FB was a surprise to anyone they are easily surprised.

The problem with FB is people. People love to yap. It’s a ‘Hey, look at me’ world. Before, ‘look at me’ was relegated to those with a venue like movies, TV or the stage. Now, it’s relegated to anyone and the stuff people do to say ‘Hey, look at me’ is often dumbfounding. But like it or not it’s here to stay and ‘Hey, look at me’ has those who would benefit from knowing about their audience, looking at all of us.

Ever watch Survivor? Contestants go to great lengths to find the ‘Hidden Immunity Idol’ that will keep them around a little longer. All they have to do is sit on it until the time is right and then use it. The problem is, people can’t shut up. They tell the camera, ‘Awesome! No one knows I found this’ and then not long after, they tell someone because they’re so proud of themselves they just can’t keep quiet. Sooner than later, that person sinks their own ship and they go home. And so the story of the world and social media. Because people... just LOVE to talk.

Loose Lips Sink Ships isn’t just a coincidental saying, it’s fact. People sink their own ships because they can’t shut up. Everything you put on the internet stays on the internet. I use FB to stay in touch with family and friends. And that’s it. Anyone who uses it for more than that, their political leanings, their bias towards something or someone, their whereabouts, their like of anything on the fringe of the norm or just standing up to let the world know WHERE they stand so they can say, ‘Hey, look at me’, is going to get a whole lot of people they don’t necessarily want, looking at them. And to be surprised at that fact? Well, that should be looked at as just pretty much stupid.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I tell them I'm quitting how many will actually pick up the phone and call me with news?

i thought about that in 2011 when i cut zuckerberg loose. then i thought ... i guess if they don't care to loop me in - i don't need to know. it's actually been great - sample conversation from my actual life -

someone -"why didn't you come to the sub-committee meeting on setting up committee meetings last week?"

me - i had no idea it was happening

someone - I POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK!

me - well then ... there ya go.

some variation on this theme happens at least twice a month.

when i unfriended my 500-ish "friends" on facebook ONE PERSON emailed me and asked if they had offended me somehow. one.

i'm 8 years clean. if facebook is still a thing in 2 more i think i'll get myself some sort of coin to carry around with me.

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
The problem is, people can’t shut up...And so the story of the world and social media. Because people... just LOVE to talk.

Oh, the irony of having the longest post in this thread Wink
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
Rick Riley wrote:
The problem is, people can’t shut up...And so the story of the world and social media. Because people... just LOVE to talk.

Oh, the irony of having the longest post in this thread Wink

Dan-O for the win!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
I use FB to stay in touch with family and friends.

Luckily my family hate me and I have no friends - RESULT!

Obviously, had I the traditional "wife n kids" I would merely talk to them personally in person. I don't, so nothing doing there. Bess the Border Collie, not interested.

A few days ago there was a fire in the next street. Elderly homeowner fine.

Nicola drove along Gordon St and saw the Marchem, it's not May yet. Thought the infernal was in Cathcart St, MY HOUSE!

Nicola calls sister, Leanne. Leanne calls Michelle. Michelle visits my house to check everything is ok. Finds house empty but flame free. Sue sends text to Leanne saying "He's ok, I was talking to him 10 minutes ago".

Philip LIKED this!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful story philip. it gave me an idea - in this fb alternative - there should be no pictures. alternatively, we should take pictures and if we like them, or think they are funny or attractive - we should then describe the photo in great detail here (no less than 500 words, not more than 1,000). bonus points for hyphenated adjectives.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, writing, writing, writing! I enjoy the written word both creating and reading.

Some of you may have noticed from me the occasional "wordy" post. Am I trying to say something? Not really. The posts are self-indulgent nonsense to keep the "wordsmith" in me exercised. So please, write!

A few years ago when my friend's daughter was around 11 or 12 I would spend a little time every few days writing stories and then sending them via email for Mum to read to her then little girl. Mum was polite and claimed they enjoyed them. Did they really? I doubt it. Does it matter? No. For the joy of bringing something to life, please write.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Facebook tip of the day: go to

Settings >Ads > Your Information > Your Categories. Then delete all these categories. ALL OF THEM.

This is where FB stored that I was a liberal socccer fan who had strong friendships with ex-pats. Also I saw from someone else's profile that they had "Affinity for African Americans" and was "extremely liberal" Also delete all the Ad and App sharing and disable sharing of the platform.

Today I also took Messenger and Facebook off my phone. Texted friends today with their phone number. Worked like a charm! Smile
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Facebook thing: NEVER log onto a 3rd party site using your Facebook account.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw FB as a selling tool, but a connection engine between me and my friends/family, and my company page and clients where we chat about related interests. No selling. Although, the FB messenger has come in handy for a few people to contact me about projects. Then we just take it to email or phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: