VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound Forge Pro 11/Win 10? Or alternative editing software?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Sound Forge Pro 11/Win 10? Or alternative editing software? Reply with quote

Any Sound Forge Pro 11 users here? I'm about to upgrade my PC (will be selling my current one soon), and want to know if you are happy with it. Or hell, any suggestions for a Windows 10 compatible audio editing software besides Sound Forge? I shudder to think about the learning curve, but maybe this old dog *should* learn a few new tricks.[/img]
www.tomtest.com
Tim Jackson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with Reaper on Windows 10.

The price is reasonable, starting at $60 (and steps between someone making a bit of money or a lot of money instead of 'non commercial' and 'commercial', which I think is fair)

It is a non-destructive editing system, unlike Audacity. You can always get your audio back, even if you make a mistake.

It is not a minor learning curve, but you can do a lot of customization to make your editing/system setup exactly fit your workflow.

There are lots of methods of support, either through facebook groups specifically for VO, videos on the standard channels, etc.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Tim! I did install a trial version of Reaper but never ended up using it after opening it once. The learning curve with the different interface seemed daunting, though I'm certain I'd learn it if I had to. But thankfully it seems my DVD of SF 10 will allow me to uninstall it from my current PC and install it on my new Windows 10 PC, and I hear SF 10 (a Sony product) works better than SF 11 (a Magix product).

So it appears my dilemma has vanished, fingers crossed. Still, I encourage others to post their experiences with other audio software compatible with Windows 10.
www.tomtest.com
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adobe Audition CC (best balance of features, cost, learning curve)
Reaper (too complicated)
Pro Tools (too expensive)
Audacity (meh, for hackers)
WavePad (too simple, but workable and free)
OcenAudio (punch and roll and free)
SF Pro 11 (Magix customer support reportedly poor)
Cubase (don't get it, but some swear by it)
Nuendo (WAYYY too expensive)
Studio One (don't get it, either, too complicated)
Wavelab (my old favorite, but seems so complicated now)
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, George, but how do you really feel?

Wink

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocenaudio also has spectral view, statistical analysis, a good little selection of useable audio tools and a decent interface. Unfortunately no spectral editing, no batch processing or effects chains (favorites...stacks...whatever you want to call them) and a slow interface (seems like there is some kind of software lag). Plus it works on PC and Mac.

Someday it could give Audition a run for its money in the VO world.
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are seeking simplicity and high-rez wave detail to screen, then another vote for Ocenaudio unless you want to cross the aisle to the MacOS side of things. (Of course, that's assuming you don't need a multitrack environment.)

They finally fixed Ocen's "feature" that only played what was visible in the window - though you still have to turn it off in Preferences.

And just about every common command is a layer or two deeper than it should be in the menu hierarchy, but that's what Keyboard equivalent editing is for, eh? (again, pref's is your friend).

Options - Audition, definitely. But, I'll also say that Studio One is worth taking a look at if you want multi-tracking - you can set up a simple template for VO and just use that. I'm loving Reaper as I climb up the learning curve there, but feel like I'm always walking around with a wrench in my back pocket, finding another bolt to tighten down.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of your replies! For some reason, I did not get notifications of your replies and am just now seeing them.

So I've found out that Sound Forge 10 DOES work well with Windows 10, so as long as I can transfer it to my new PC and uninstall from my old one, I should be just fine continuing with SF10. If not, I'll give Audition CC a whirl.

(FWIW, I do not need to multi-track, as I very rarely do my own production).
www.tomtest.com
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at reaper several times and it seemed too complicated.

But then I found a hack by that makes it just like editing in Edit mode in Adobe Audition. The video on how to do it is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn_chAP8814

You just set up a Action command key to do four steps at once. It takes one minute to set it up:

1.) Go to Actions Menu
2.) Choose "Show Actions List"
3.) Then drag and drop the following actions into the custom actions section: 1.) Set Ripple Editing Per Track 2.) Item: Split Items at Time Selection 3.) Time Selection: Remove contents of time selection (moving later items) 4.) Go to end of time selection

4.) Set a key and name for the Custom Actions (I choose "Delete") . I also then set "0" for Deleting sections of track Items so I could do that as well.

Yes, there is a big learning curve with Reaper, but I've got it up to speed in three days and I'm doing e-learning editing, etc. with it. In principle, I'm not paying Adobe a likely $3k over the next decade to replace human voices with digital ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: