VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saluting Veterans - A Day Off For Anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Saluting Veterans - A Day Off For Anyone? Reply with quote

A salute to all veterans today/tomorrow, especially VO-BB members who served. Even my DW is a Navy vet, and you better believe I salute her every day.

As important as today's memorialization is, it's a "bank" type holiday with only banks, federal and some state offices taking the day off. Do you notice a big or total drop in business from all kinds of clients on these days? I know I have.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrinking work on Veterans Day can be offset by restaurant hoping to cash in on the free Vet meals. Your meals may vary.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no "horn tooting" because it was one of the best experiences i've ever had -

saturday i helped my cousin with a "wounded warrior" deer hunt. we took two guys from tennessee & two guys from kentucky on a guided deer hunt, we sat in the woods & watched the sun come up, drank beer, ate steak and had an extremely good time. all 4 bagged a deer & one guy got two. we had tags aplenty, so it was all cool. it was my cousin's 3rd year doing it & my 1st ... i'll definitely do it again. probably the best veterans day ever.

Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
one of the best experiences i've ever had -

saturday i helped my cousin with a "wounded warrior" deer hunt. we took two guys from tennessee & two guys from kentucky on a guided deer hunt, we sat in the woods & watched the sun come up, drank beer, ate steak and had an extremely good time.

Not being a hunter, that's not my thing. But being a Vet supporter, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

No words for what you did for their hearts, minds and souls. And I'm sure it did the same for you. Good goin' Todd!!!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I was flying out of Ronald Reagan Airport Washington DC. As me and the Captain walked to our gate a brass band played and we heard applause from the people who lined the walkway. En masse coming towards us along with supporters and carers, using wheel chairs, walking frames or a helping hand were a hundred or so men in their late 80s or beyond. Everyone of them was in full military uniform, complete with medals and wings. These men flew into danger for "we the people".

Ray, my Captain for the day stood motionless, not quite sure what to do as a wheelchair being pushed very slowly went by us. The occupant, a once dashing young Lieutenant, looked somewhat overwhelmed and ill at ease.

The embroidered name on his jacket read, Lt Charles "Chunk" Munroe. I blocked the path of the chair, got down to Chunk's level and looked him in the eye and asked him where he served and in what capacity.

"Thank you for what you did for me and my generation. I'm here because of you and your friends. Thank you. Enjoy your day in DC "

Chunk gripped both my hands tightly and smiled the smile of a 20 something Air Force officer. As I got to my feet he saluted me. Whilst I had no right to return the salute his gaze told that he was expecting exactly that. Ray joined me, stood to attention at my side, I copied. He saluted and I did the same. Cameras clicked from every direction so I must've copied correctly, in sync and not looked liked a complete eejit. We then stepped aside and let yer man on his way.

Huge, moist eyed, lump in throat moment I will never forget.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick - my B.I.L. spent 2 tours in iraq, got blown up in afghanistan, spent two years in the hospital and is now BACK in iraq working security for the state department. some people just have warrior souls and we can all sleep better because of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: