VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time spent marketing oneself
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! There's real gold in the above.

Here's the 2017 problem. Social Media has made people extremely lazy and CHEAP!

Listen
Meet
Eat
Greet
Gift
Talk
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Social Media has made people extremely lazy and CHEAP!

SO agree! But sadly, it is what it is! And today's buyer is of the e-generation just as today's vo newbie is as well. In the world of mainstream animation often just to get a chance to audition depends on how many social media followers you have. And it's not uncommon for a buyer to message on Linked In rather than email.

But change is a constant. When I first got into the business the industry was adapting from in person auditions at ad agencies to reading in our agent's office studio. Veteran vo actors also called this "lazy and cheap" which it was. But, it also was the only way one could be in the game. And, since I didn't really know any different, reading in my agent's office was my norm. Just as social media is the norm for anyone who got into this over the past 10-15 years. And especially for those getting in today.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Net result.

More BS, more spin, more VO people (as opposed to actors with part of their skillset being VO work), higher attrition rate, so much more time being wasted with no genuine return.

"Names" need the Facebook and Twitter followers, me, not so much. Social Media numbers are important for Celebs which is why they pay people to be them.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Social Media has made people extremely lazy and CHEAP!

I disagree. People have always been lazy and cheap. Social media enables them to get away with it.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
"Names" need the Facebook and Twitter followers

I wish this were the case, but it's not. Scale plus 10% animation actors need social media followers. Often just to get an audition for a guest part in one episode.

The networks and studios equate social media numbers the way they view Nielsen ratings. A built in audience whom they believe will follow the voice actor to the next project. I get it! If I was a producer and had the choice between an actor with 1000 followers and an actor with 100,000, I'm picking the latter. Studios and networks also research who is popular and have a strong presence at fan conventions.

And, social media followers are getting more and more important for agents and ad execs. If you are known to no one, but audition for that big Coke campaign, advertisers are very aware of social media following. They don't just look at the numbers, but they also look to see how you present yourself. If the buyer feels you are too political, opinionated, or controversial in a way that they feel might negatively affect sales, they pass. Things might be very different in the UK. And, often actors haven't a clue why they were passed on. But the agents in the US are very aware of this!

I recently did a shoe campaign and not only signed an NDA, but also agreed to promote on social media once the spots came out. That was a big yin yang!
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
ballenberg wrote:
Quote:
But I never cold call. Those whom I work with would resent that.

What do you mean, Bob?

I don't cold call buyers. The caliber I work with at the major networks , studios, and ad agencies would consider this annoying and unprofessional. But all are open to an email.

Ooooh, double quote, I’m not sure if that’s legal, BUT... I don’t cold call either. I did once, it got me nowhere, I was uncomfortable and never did it again. I have on occasion emailed. I don’t do it often and fortunately my success has been petty high, but I think it’s because I only chase down someone who I know has a project going or know they’re looking for someone and I believe they’re looking for someone like me.

But as far as ‘calls’, I hate making them and I hate it when I get them, even if it’s from clients. A call demands you deal with the person on the other end right away, on their time. And the same goes from me to them. I feel that calls, unless they’re to friends, are almost rude in a way. They are demanding of time. And in this day of voicemail, I can’t remember a time when I’ve actually had the person I want to speak to regarding anything, actually answer their phone anyway. And then if I do leave a voicemail, I’m back on their schedule to take their call when they return it, and their time has rarely ever been convenient for me. My work is an email world. I respond quickly when I get them and I hope those on the other end do the same for me.

That’s just my experience and I only chimed in because Bob pointed out the email route and I thought I would second that experience.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:

Here's another marketing strategy for radio imaging. It's an easy one. I'll pick a state and a radio imaging genre, such as oldies, Hot AC, country, whatever genre I have a demo for and (or) feel like marketing. I then google radio stations in whatever state I choose to find whom to send my demo to and send each imaging buyer a personal note/demo/agent info.

Hope this helps!

That's beautiful....nice strategy.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
Scale plus 10% animation actors need social media followers. Often just to get an audition for a guest part in one episode.

But are we talking about the same thing? Most of us, who are not in Hollywood, are not trying to be cast as guests in an episode of anything. We're trying to be the VO in a commercial or an explainer or corporate video -- things that our ability to bring eyeballs to the finished product is irrelevant.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob..I read that wondering if you meant your current clients would resent you trying to work with someone else, hence my question. Thanks for clarification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: