VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acting for podcast rate question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Acting for podcast rate question Reply with quote

I got booked to do an acting role for a podcast.
Any idea what rates are for something like this?
I haven't asked if there's sponsors/advertising for the show but would welcome any input on either situation if possible.
Thanks
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not clear I'd try and find out who the client is. Is it a major company like Coca Cola, or some guy who sits on his bed all day in his parent's basement and just wants to entertain his "fans"? Then I'd take my hourly narration rate and work up or down from that depending what I found out or what my intuition says. I'm thinking podcasts are just like narrations for explainer videos or YouTube videos.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Art
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the idea of rating it like a YouTube video. If this podcast is on SoundCloud, you might be able to see how many downloads they're getting. Even podcasts by name TV and radio stars are only getting about 10,000 listens, from what I can tell.

Now consider the standard advertising rate is $25 per 1,000 listeners. So even a podcast episode drawing 10,000 listens is only making $250 -- that is, if they're selling advertising at all. Now consider they want to keep some of those profits for the downpayment on a top-of-the-line Mercedes, or perhaps a frozen pizza.

Depending on your portfolio, if this is someone with 100 listeners but they're great at production, it might be worth doing it "pro bono" just to make the connection with a good mixologist and have something that sounds great for your demo.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm involved with a couple of podcasts... on one I'm part of the host team, and on the other, I'm an occasional contributor reading short stories. Unless this is a well organized commercial venture, it's probably being done as a labour of love by the host/producer. An immense about of podcast is plain-and-simple vanity publishing... no money, but may be worth it for a laff if it's fun... play the long game... be a friend, and if the host/producer has potential, go along for a ride which may pay off. Do not consider this work... it's all spec.

The two types that bring in the money are the commercial ones that have heavy advertising and a very clear revenue stream. These may be hosted under a network umbrella. They will all know their numbers and will have the latest weekly ones on hand. Art's numbers below are fair... but remember, podcasts usually have a niche audience and the numbers are very low. My own podcast (currently on hiatus unfortunately) is only aimed at the VO community, and we're doing a total of 63K over 31 episodes... so, about 2,000 per episode.

The big money (if there is such a thing) is in the corporate podcast. These are usually consumed by the company's own employees, but are primarily an outreach to clients... maybe something like a weekly financial digest where they advise and up-sell their consulting services. These are commercial ventures and you should charge appropriately. The big question is... how big is the acting role? Is it a couple of minutes (basic session fee plus a bit) or are you holding up the podcast's tent-pole for 30 minutes or more... then we're healthily into four figures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: