VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording audio on smart phones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Recording audio on smart phones Reply with quote

Question: Are all smart phones today, no matter the manufacturer, capable of recording audio using a built-in mic; and is it easy to copy/move the audio files to a desktop computer and/or email them to others?

This would not be for recording VO jobs or even auditions, but only for reference.

Many thanks!

Last edited by Mike Harrison on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure all smartphones are capable of recording audio, although the capabilities for using an aftermarket mic may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer (and iPhone to Android).

I find the Dropbox app to be quite handy in sharing audio (and other) files among devices. Of course, you should also be able to email something you recorded on your phone, directly from your phone, without having to move it to your desktop.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lee.

Based on your reply, I've amended my question to include something I failed to ask about.

heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike... Both Apple and Android app stores carry a number of smartphone recording solutions, from ultra simple to multi track. Many reporters, documentary producers, and podcasters use their smartphones for field recording. It ain't studio quality, but most current phones can give you serviceable audio using the speakerphone function. Audio files can be easily shared with cloud services like Dropbox, iCloud, and Google Drive.

What's in your pocket?
borja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the quality of the iPhone mic to be pretty OK for what it is, although I personally use the built-in mic just for toying around Smile

If you have a USB class-compliant audio interface and the right software (check Twistedwave on iOS, for example), you can record with the same quality as in a PC.
j.diazmeco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use twisted wave app on iPhone, and it can email directly wav files to client. Sometimes with internal mic, and sometimes with the hands free headphone mic. The most important thing is room sound, and mic placement so you don't get plosives. Usually I carry with me an iRIG studio mic, wich can be connected to android, iphone, mac and pc.
If I need to sync a voice over to a video, I use Lumafusion app on IOS.
I also have a Centrance Mic Port interface, but found it to be a little more clunky in comparison.
When I had Android couldn't really find reliable apps for doing this type of things.
Hope this helps!
borja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.diazmeco wrote:
I use twisted wave app on iPhone, and it can email directly wav files to client. Sometimes with internal mic, and sometimes with the hands free headphone mic. The most important thing is room sound, and mic placement so you don't get plosives. Usually I carry with me an iRIG studio mic, wich can be connected to android, iphone, mac and pc.
If I need to sync a voice over to a video, I use Lumafusion app on IOS.
I also have a Centrance Mic Port interface, but found it to be a little more clunky in comparison.
When I had Android couldn't really find reliable apps for doing this type of things.
Hope this helps!

This guy knows Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: