VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a future in the VO business?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your input on this. There were definitely some conflicting opinions but possibly that is due to the "glass is half-full, glass is half-empty" perspective. Perhaps, here, it is more like the glass is 1/4 full or 3//4 empty.

I guess the take-away here is that (talent aside) one must be very dedicated to the craft and the pursuit of success, and then one has a 5% chance of "breaking into" the field. No doubt there is some luck involved, and knowing someone with connections, could be a big help.

Overall, it sounds like "a tough row to hoe" but I'm giving it a shot!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck and who you know are huge!!! I made it a point to know the top vo actors in the business. I didn't waste my time with those in the same boat as me or even those pursuing. I rubbed elbows with the best.

But ask any successful business person in any business, they will all tell you the same thing. You are as good as the company you keep.

You also need very specific goals. Vague goals bring vague results. And "I just want to work" is vague. That's what most want to do, and most aren't working.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers is good stuff for understanding the situations of where you are, whom you know, and just plain staggering luck that set some people's careers in motion.

Kind of interesting to look at different career trajectories and see spectacular boosts and unfathomable thwarts. What I learned from my Beloved Husband DeWitt is ya might as well make some art while you can, if you can. Nothing much else lasts.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite "light look at life" sitcoms is called "Dinnerladies" written by the late Victoria Wood. In the final episode after a marriage proposal now fiance asks if they will live happily ever after. I live every day by the reply.

"No, I think we'll just blunder about buggering it up like everybody else"

Meet Victoria ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mWaKoKLo8&list=PLoIWs3lnkLmonsqLaXBIVedJIcI-vHJMC

Last edited by Philip Banks on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are as good as the company you keep.

well ... crap.

AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I transitioned from a former broadcasting career and, later, a corporate position, I quickly realized how competitive the voiceover business is. I decided to focus solely on audiobook narration. As a result, I have a full time business and I'm making a very comfortable income. It's still competitive, but I've never been without work and usually stay "booked" up months in advance. I feel blessed to be a part of this business.
Art
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 21 I thought I was pursuing VO, radio and rock stardom because I wanted to be rich and famous. As I got into my early 30's I realized I wasn't rich and famous...but I also wasn't stopping.

Now I take pride that I never fully laid down my sword and shield. I've been in the fight in some way all these years. By contrast there were extremely talented people in my high school who quit what they were doing within a year of graduating. Their show business memories end around the age of 19. I have stories to tell from many years after that.

A lady on TV put it eloquently after Prince died. She said, "He can meet his maker and say, 'I gave them all that you gave to me.'" I think that is the reward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: