VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rate for radio spots that'll also be cutdown

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Rate for radio spots that'll also be cutdown Reply with quote

I'm booked for a job this coming Tuesday and not sure what to charge for this one.
They're saying it'll be 4-:60 radio spots. But that those will be cut down to 4-:30 radio spots.

I've worked with them before but not with spots being cutdown.

Do I charge for 4, 60 second radio spots or 8, or some middle ground between the 2?

PS...I need an agent
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An agent would help here but the thinking is that cut downs are just short versions of the original commercials so one rate covers each 60 and the 30 cut down. So in essence you're just doing four commercials and they're going to do the work to make four shorter versions of the same commercials.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the usage you need to be concerned about. They will end up with 8 spots that they will buy time for.

If they just had 4 - 60 second spots, they would have to use their buy money on 60 seconds time buys. With 30 second spots, they have more options for placement. But has their buy money increased?

You need to at least consider this. In any event, they have 8 spots instead of 4 that they can run until they become so dated that they can't be used anymore.

You should charge them something for the cut-downs.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
It is the usage you need to be concerned about. They will end up with 8 spots that they will buy time for.

If they just had 4 - 60 second spots, they would have to use their buy money on 60 seconds time buys. With 30 second spots, they have more options for placement. But has their buy money increased?

You need to at least consider this. In any event, they have 8 spots instead of 4 that they can run until they become so dated that they can't be used anymore.

You should charge them something for the cut-downs.

Thanks Connie.
As a followup (for you and anyone to answer) what would you charge for the cutdowns? Half the cost of :60? 1/3?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might look dimly upon you if you charge them for 8 commercials when you only recorded 4. All the air time they are buying is just for those 4 original commercials, with some of them having been shortened.

I know it FEELS like they should pay you more, but when you take home leftovers from the restaurant I don't think you'd like it if they decide to charge you additionally for what's in the doggie bag.

Now if they have you re-do a bunch of lines in order to make the shorter versions work out time-wise, that could be a different story, and any different wording that might be considered a "tag" is definitely chargeable.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree with you completely Bruce, but the shorter spots could lead to more usage, so that needs to be considered when figuring out a rate.

Usage was not introduced into the original question.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider usage re doggie bag analogy...In the case of the original questions, it's as if the leftovers came from an all-you-can-eat buffet and others are then partaking....Connie's usage point is valid and should be factored in..session is session, but usage is what's most valuable.

I learned my lesson early on..a non-union "agent" ( a well-known abuser of talent in NYC..a nightmare human) booked a buyout commercial (radio, thank heavens!) for me. It ran for over ten years for one small fee. Sucked, but a really good lesson for a young guy (well, I was almost fifty when I started, so not so young LOL)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: