VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mouth De-Click, Wow!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iannyc wrote:
So isotope is a... plugin? And it will work with various editing programs? I've been using Adobe audition, is that compatible

They designed it to work with most DAWs, so I'm pretty sure it will be fine with Adobe Audition. That's just a (hopefully accurate) guess on my end, so you'll have to try out the trial/demo version or ask them directly to know for sure.

You can use it as a standalone external program, or as a plugin - or I should say as a series of plugins. Each feature works as a separate plugin, so there is a mouth declick plugin, a de-clipper plugin, a de-plosive plugin and so forth. Plus there is an "RX connect" plugin that will send your selection to the standalone version so you can do audio photoshop vodoo and then return the selection to your DAW after you have messed with it. In fact, if you've ever used photoshop, the selection tools and other bits n bobs in the standalone will be eerily familiar.

Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of us do get a little carried away sometimes; worrying a bit too much about things like mouth clicks and breaths. To me, the complete removal of breaths makes a track sound too sterile; non-human. I tend to begin hyperventilating listening to someone speak without breathing.

But, as for mouth clicks, a LOT of the issue depends on how the material is being listened to. If we're submitting our work to a professional audio facility, the clicks will most probably be heard through their big studio monitors. But if our work is going to be heard only through cheap computer speakers, the chances are slim to none that any clicks will be heard... unless they are really, really nasty.

Somewhat different, though, if someone listens with ear buds. A tiny speaker with very limited lower frequency response and maybe even a slight boost in the upper-midrange/high frequencies placed inside the ear will undoubtedly reproduce mouth clicks very well.

verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear mouth clicks on radio ads while driving in traffic. It drives me nuts!

Agree Izotope RX6 is pretty indispensable, I upgraded from RX3 when it came out (which means I skipped over RX4 and RX5), I previously used an RX3 "de-click" preset for mouth clicks that worked well. It's nice the guys at iZotope now specifically target solutions for voice work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
David Bucci

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:
They designed it to work with most DAWs, so I'm pretty sure it will be fine with Adobe Audition.

I just purchased RX 6 and Nectar 2. I'm using them with Audition 6.5. The mouth de-click is amazing!
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iannyc wrote:
So isotope is a... plugin? And it will work with various editing programs? I've been using Adobe audition, is that compatible?

Thanks!!

Yes.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit/rx/specs.html
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it goes without saying -- but less is more with tools like these. I usually like to start off with it turned all the way down and gradually increase the amount of removal.

Remember, it's a subtractive software plugin -- as in it is removing bytes from your sound file. Regardless of how accurate it is at ONLY identifying and removing clicks, pops ect ... it inevitably does remove a bit of your sound/signal.

Izotope is also a resource hog. I've found during any mastering to do a pass and then remove it from the plugin chain. It's called "bounce in place" or something similar in most DAWs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: