VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Power Conditioners?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Two Power Conditioners? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of adding an inexpensive line conditioner such as a Furman AC-215A to my booth. But then, I'm thinking, if it helps, why not also add one to the computer I actually record into, which is at my desk, about 35 feet from the booth, and, naturally, plugged into a different circuit. My question is, would having two of these units, one on either end of my audio chain, create any kind of interference or ground-loop problem. I suspect not, but I figured I'd seek out an expert opinion here.

Also, if I do add one, should I plug my UPS into it, or plug it into the UPS and the computer into that?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in the booth (preamp was plugged into it) and one on the desk for computer and other stuff and the one on my desk is plugged into a pretty beefy UPS. No interference that I can detect. It's been that way for 2 years. I can't say if there are technically potential problems, but I haven't experienced any.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would plug the UPS into the wall...then Plug the conditioner into the UPS.
Also...if you are not getting a "ground loop" problem now....adding a conditioner will not change that. You should be fine.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Fisher wrote:
plug the UPS into the wall...then Plug the conditioner into the UPS.

I just took a look at the manual for the unit I'm thinking of getting, and they say not to daisy chain with a UPS or other surge protector. but they only specify not plugging their unit into one of those. They don't specifically say not to plug a UPS into the line conditioner. Either way, I think I'll order a couple and see what happens.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is probably because the UPS is rated for certain loads and adding more outlets could result in overloading the UPS. Do most UPS backups have a conditioned output? I wonder if the power conditioner is even necessary with the UPS.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW.

A good UPS is not only for those situation when you have power outages...but also "brown outs"....power surges...and let's not forget...spikes during electrical storms. It is designed to PROTECT your equipment from damage and/or electrical interruption..

A power conditioner, on the other hand,is a device intended to improve the quality of the power that is delivered to electrical load equipment. As I write this I can look down and see that my power conditioner is showing me that it is having to correct 122..121...123...(constantly changing) voltage (in the U.S) to the proper 120 received directly from the UPS...along with filtering and isolation.

I have used this setup for over 20 years with no problem.

Do as you will. Smile
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Fisher wrote:

I have used this setup for over 20 years with no problem.

I think I will follow your example.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider: A "power conditioner" like the low end Furman units don't actually do anything to the power. They are, more or less, a fancy power strip. If you want to condition the power, or regulate the power, you'll need to look at much higher end units that actually 'regulate' the incoming power, such as the Furman Voltage regulators or similar units from other builders. They are expensive, which is why most people opt for the low end units, thinking they're getting similar performance.

As for a Furman unit, you'll basically be able to consolidate several power needs into a single rack mountable unit with a larger format power strip/surge protector design. But the better option is to then plug that into a good quality UPS unit.

If your power fluctuates or you have regular brown outs, then a power regulator is the solution.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for this terrific information! I think I need to upgrade the crappy strips I have now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: