VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audiobookers/Long Form Narrators...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Audiobookers/Long Form Narrators... Reply with quote

What are your preferred mics? Are there any mics that help you sound more consistent and allow you to adjust your butt and back without changing the sound?
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a Shure SM7B w/ Cloudlifter for many audiobooks with great results. Currently, I'm using a TLM 103. I stand in the booth and have had no problems maintaining a consistency of sound from one day to the next.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency has nothing to do with microphones and everything to do with the narrator! And if adjusting your butt changes your sound you may be coming at this all wrong to begin with. You should be able to take a week off and still be consistent from one sentence to the next.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Consistency has nothing to do with microphones and everything to do with the narrator! And if adjusting your butt changes your sound you may be coming at this all wrong to begin with. You should be able to take a week off and still be consistent from one sentence to the next.

B

Amen to that Bruce. I was just looking for a mic that isn't going to sound a whole lot different if I am say 3" away versus 5".
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than singing or announcing into a dynamic mic on a loud stage, you should never be 3" to 5" from a good condenser mic in studio. The sound will likely be distorted and terrible (see exceptions below). Nine to twelve inches is standard operating distance and even more if your space is well treated for sound reflexion.

And as mentioned earlier consistency comes from being consistent, as in always being about 9" away from your mic (let's say) for a long, contiguous read, and doing things like making sure your mic is always positioned at 10 o'clock for example. Sure if you're going to whisper or yell you can adjust closer or farther away temporarily (the exceptions), but restless monkey time around your mic is not going to win you happy customers or repeat business.

B

Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Other than singing or announcing into a dynamic mic on a loud stage, you should never be 3" to 5" from a good condenser mic in studio. The sound will likely be distorted and terrible (see exceptions below). Nine to twelve inches is standard operating distance and even more if your space is well treated for sound reflexion.

And as mentioned earlier consistency comes from being consistent, as in always being about 9" away from your mic (let's say) for a long, contiguous read, and doing things like making sure your mic is always positioned at 10 o'clock for example. Sure if you're going to whisper or yell you can adjust closer or farther away temporarily (the exceptions), but restless monkey time around your mic is not going to win you happy customers or repeat business.

B

As always Bruce, your insights are helpful and appreciated. 😊
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be super accurate there are some dynamic mics as in the Electro-Voice RE20 that are somewhat forgiving. These are frequently used in radio stations where you have everything from serious newscasters to ape sh*t rock jocks behind the mic and you need just one product to cover all.

The only problem IMHO is that dynamic mics are just dull enough in clarity and liveliness compared to condenser mics that they just aren't a good fit for the serious voice actor. I know there are folks out there who will disagree and love dynamics, but I did put the H in IMHO.

B

Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first audiobook with an SM7B, and being a dynamic, I can tell you if you stray too far from the sweet spot the volume and presence drops off quickly; moreso than with a condenser. Just something to keep in mind based on my experience.
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clarification of what I meant by "consistency." As Rob noted, the SM7B can vary if you move away from its sweet spot, at least in my experience. Haven't had that with my TLM 103.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: