VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAD E100s death rattle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: CAD E100s death rattle Reply with quote

Twice this past week I have had an extremely troubling and rather loud background distortion/noise when I was about to record. Since my first troubleshooting step is always just turn everything off and on again (not entirely true, my VERY first step is to feel a sense of dread and panic in the pit of my stomach), and both times this seemed to eliminate the noise, I can't trace it to any particular piece of gear.

...which leads me to ask a question for those of you who have had CAD E100s microphones die on you. Did it happen with a fingernails on blackboard distortion, or did the mic go quietly into that good night?

Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine gradually had unacceptable self noise and general lack of high end after about 3.5 years.

Sold it to a local Banjomart/Guitarget for $175. Let the buyer beware!

Some crap out, some gradually become crap.

And CAD doesn't give a crap.
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that makes me sad. Bought a CAD about 3 months ago...
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chin up, Neil. I haven't had any problems with mine in the time since I started this thread. Maybe it was a one-time (or coupla-times) thing only. I did have some horrible static happening in my right monitor the other day. It disappeared too.

Curse this damp basement! Maybe I just need a better dehumidifier and everything will be fine.

As for CAD not giving a crap - I've had nothing but excellent customer service from them so far. Even though I bought mine used, CAD went out of their way to be helpful, even going so far as shooting and sending me a tear-down video of the shockmount to show me how to put it together.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equipment fails. It's a fact of life... However, we have expectations... and when a certain piece of equipment gets a reputation for failing, it puts us all in a state of trepidation. I have two pieces of equipment that were "hot items"... the CAD e100s and the Focusrite 2i2. Happily, my CAD has been problem free since I got it on the first wave. It's been connected to the system alongside the 416 for a few years, and nary a glitch. Maybe their QC fell down a hole when they couldn't keep up with demand? On the other hand, my 2i2 has been (and continues to be) a bag o'shite. I retired it a couple of years ago, but yesterday had reason to pull it out of the box and set it up on another system... input fine... output distorted... clicking and spiking all over the place. I ran through all the obvious stuff (matching rates, rebooting, slapping it around a bit) but to no avail.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely recommend the Steinberg UR22 or UR12 interfaces instead for the same money as the 2i2.

Much better piece of gear.

Mind you, the 2nd Generation 2i2 I bought is spiffy, but the first gen version was really awful. Had to restart my computer so many times!!!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance Blair wrote:
Mind you, the 2nd Generation 2i2 I bought is spiffy, but the first gen version was really awful. Had to restart my computer so many times!!!

While it's grand that they made a new version that fixed all the problems, in many ways it just highlights the fact that the original was a heap of donkey-droppings and they are walking away from it. It may have been a nice gesture to contact registered users with some kind of mea culpa and an offer of a deep discount if you send the old one back. As it is, the big signal is "Tough!" ... which only makes me disinclined to buy any of their products again.

Oh, and in the same price range, the Mackie Onyx Blackjack is a fine piece of hardware. It's built like a brick-outhouse and has the same Mackie preamps that come in their higher-end gear. I've no experience with Steinberg stuff, but I hear good things.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point on Focusrite. They should have made some kind of incentive to upgrade.

The Steinberg is basically the Yamaha interface rebranded, so they can get people to use Cubase LE. It's a nice piece of kit.

And the Blackjack is ace too. Wink

I'm using the Soundcraft Signature 10 board now because it sounds great, isn't super expensive, and channel 9/10 automatically sends any playback audio from my computer down the line for ipDTL, Session Link Pro, etc. Plus, I can use it for my synths. Smile
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we seem to have switched to interfaces, I'll chime in.....

...For the most part, my Audient ID22 has performed flawlessly, going on 2 years so far.........I think it's still under $600 in some quarters.....
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:

...For the most part, my Audient ID22 has performed flawlessly, going on 2 years so far.........I think it's still under $600 in some quarters.....

There's a smaller version out now (id14 ore somesuch*) that is priced in the 300 buck or so range. Niiiiiice!

*What, you expect me to look up the exact name and price? But... but... that would take more typing and clicks than I am prepared to do right now. Geez!

RJ McNicol
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Steinberg UR22 along with my CAD.
Dan DeMann

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
Lance Blair wrote:

While it's grand that they made a new version that fixed all the problems, in many ways it just highlights the fact that the original was a heap of donkey-droppings and they are walking away from it. It may have been a nice gesture to contact registered users with some kind of mea culpa and an offer of a deep discount if you send the old one back. As it is, the big signal is "Tough!" ... which only makes me disinclined to buy any of their products again.

I had that same issue with Presonus a few years ago. I bought a StudioLive 16.4.2, only to have Presonus drop support on it three months later when the AI series came out. They offered a relatively minor discount on the AI for previous owners, but that still left me with trying to unload the old one. I was able to sell it and bought an Allen & Heath QU16, for which the support has been fantastic.
Dan DeMann

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:

I have the new little brother iD4. Same Burr-Brown pres as the iD22, only in a single channel version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: