VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home recording studio in a single room apartment-Any help??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others here, my recording environment has gone through many iterations. In ten years, I've gone from the most basic set-up to a dedicated soundproof (basement) studio room with all the treatments I need... and many I probably don't! My biggest piece of advice would be not to throw too much money at the problem to start out. Many people will try and sell you custom panels, gobos, overpriced foam panels, magic microphone enclosures, and all sorts of turnkey solutions.

The biggest trick is to clearly identify the problem you are trying to solve. To over-simplify... treatment is easy, soundproofing is hard. The simples solution to soundproofing is to record at quiet times. That may sound facetious, but it's not. If the Maserati (or Honda Civic with a sound system which cost more than the car) is a problem, then the soundproofing you need may not be available short of purchasing a booth... and not a cheap one either! How many thousands of dollars do you have to throw at that particular problem? Constantly tweeting birds is probably a fairly low-level, but persistent, problem, but the drapes thing may be the way to go with that.

Treatment, on the other hand, is (relatively) easy. Closets full of clothes, moving blankets and (my favourite) quilts from charity shops can work absolute wonders... and are all cheap enough to experiment with. If things get muddy... rearrange or add a coupe of posterboard panels to liven things up a bit. If you want things collapsible, make frames out of 2" plastic pipe and hang your treatment from them. Plenty of designs posted all over the interwebs!

It's a fun journey... and you actually learn a lot about sound from cobbling together all this diverse stuff.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might think about these also.
http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/quick-sound-field
kberkery
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those Tube Traps are really interesting! Thanks for sharing Smile

Kristin

www.thatvoice.me
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work the closet angle, adjusting with the advice from Lee - and if your exterior noise is too much, record at night.

Once you have a budget there are excellent small booths. At the moment, I'm in a studio in lower Manhattan (NYC) which - as most people know - has only 2 seasons. Winter and Construction. I have a phenomenal booth that blocks out everything. Even the jackhammering. But if I were willing to record only at night I could get away with repurposing the closet. At least until the garbage trucks arrive at 3am. Oh, look. It's almost that time now.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While these discussion are quite commonplace, I find it intriguing how many different solutions are out there. Ideally, we'd all have a purpose-built environment... but the truth of the matter is that we're always fighting the demons that get in the way. I look at my set-up... and short of moving to an isolated cottage in the middle of nowhere, I'm very happy with what I have. I've stopped futzing with it now! Could I get a 6x4 Studio Bricks booth? Sure, but I just don't see the benefit now. It's fascinating to see the whole "duct tape and WD40" mentality applied to constructing a suitable environment... and there are no failures, because each iteration can be a learning opportunity.

Long live the spirit of Heath Robinson!

(sorry, that was a British cultural reference)
VoxVirtus
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Love it! Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I lived in a studio apartment in Burbank CA for a couple of years. Built my own booth.
Interior doors, MDF, Quilts from IKEA, upholstery foam, moving blankets.
Hinges, casters.
JM Insul-shield semi-rigid acoustic panels, covered with fabric.
Grommets, screw hooks. String.

Yes, I had to pause when a Maserati would wind it out on Olive Ave, but this beastie served me well and was portable. I used it in 2 places in Oregon as well.

Is that the MKH 416 or the MKH 50 or...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: