VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh Puhleeeeze

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Oh Puhleeeeze Reply with quote

Here's a recent story with audio attached about voice simulation technology as it stands today with one company.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/05/527013820/new-software-can-mimic-anyones-voice

First, it's not near believable yet. Second, the only reason to spend money on it now is to mimic famous voices for giggles. There's still waaaayyyy too much work to be done to create a professional and versatile voice talent who can just look at copy and quickly judge how it should be read.

HOWEVER, what's with all this business of turning human work into robot work? What will we do when most mental and manual labor is taken over by machines? So far, with some notable exceptions, enough jobs in newer technology have been created to absorb displaced workers, but the trajectory sure seems on a path to create massive unemployment.

Are they taking over (he says with a wry smile)? Uncertain

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to those corporations who claim to understand the need for solid employee training, yet will instead choose this digital cud (already been chewed and digested but brought up again for a second go) rather than human professionals, because they mistakenly judge the success of their training solely on how much is thrown at the learner rather than how much the learner remembers and is later able to apply (the direct result of being engaged).

I challenge any corporate HR or training manager to attempt reading their young children bedtime stories with the same lifeless droning as is feebly manufactured by algorithms. I'd bet they won't get past page one without strong protest from the kids.

All this... to save some money. They'll certainly get what they pay for... but nothing in the way of measurable positive results.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
I challenge any corporate HR or training manager to attempt reading their young children bedtime stories with the same lifeless droning as is feebly manufactured by algorithms.
I like that analogy.

Back in the late 1800s... or it may have been around 1978 (I forget exactly) I worked for IBM. I spent a glorious month in their London training school learning about stuff before being let loose on the public. My bench... in front of me, the machine I must master... to my right, a rather well-equipped tool case full of worldly delights... to my left, a stack of technical training manuals and the dreaded dictaphone machine with a seemingly endless library of tape "bands".

I'm not exactly sure when the audio was produced (probably around 1970 just prior to the revised product launch) but to our ears it was awful on many counts... each of which were a barrier to learning. The voice was American... no localization for the UK... not a massive issue in itself, but coupled with the fact that it was the driest monotone imaginable with all hint of human life removed from it made it intolerable. After one day, the whole class was ready to sabotage their dictaphones. Nails on a blackboard.

The 60s were "the computer age" where everything had to beep, have flashing lights, and sound robotic (Dammit... we were going to the moon! Where's my flying car?) Morton Subotnik supplied the soundtrack and there was a bright future ahead for all. The IBM 360 could fix everything and represented all that was good. Yeah, right. Wink

That whole experience taught me that engagement is the key to learning... not the flat delivery of information. It's a lesson that seems to be lost as we come full circle.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
engagement is the key to learning... not the flat delivery of information.

Exactly. The example I'm about to share is not the best example, because I have forgotten what the lesson was, but I will never forget my 9th grade English teacher, Mr. Edward Rutan, climbing atop his desk, pounding his chest like King Kong and having us fly paper airplanes at him. (He also had a much more appropriate name for supermarkets, based on shoppers' behavior: "stupormarkets.")

A side note: there was a period in the late 70s, I think (and perhaps may still be true today to some extent), where there was a concern in the advertising world that audiences were remembering the very catchy commercial jingles... but not necessarily the product the jingles were selling.

Engagement is why Sesame Street was immediately successful and still is 48 years later. Engagement is why people will enthusiastically discuss a well-made film or TV show they've just seen and remember it years later. Why this concept for training is overlooked in favor of trying to reinvent the wheel (artificially produce speech) is beyond me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: