VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you re-audition to old clients?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go as far as you can in any business, but especially the performing business, you give them what they want (unless it's horribly demeaning which it almost never is). Refuse something that's a straightforward request and the demerits start getting checked by your name.

It's even more so behind the camera with the crew. Without question you show up 15 to 30 minutes before your call time and every request is handled promptly, efficiently, and politely. It's very much like the military. We have it so easy compared to them.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good points, Bob and Bruce. Well said, and helpful.

But again, this is different than the original poster's question. Unless I misread it.

She was not asked to audition, and did not turn down that request. Instead she saw the audition on what I assume to be a pay to play site, and asked if she should send her audition in that way. In this case, I concur with those who say this is one to let go, and possibly so is the client.

And yes, Bob, a small production company, say a one-man operation that does corporate videos, has pretty much nothing in common with Warner Brothers. While at our best, we are actors, as far as this type of business goes, we are vendors and they are clients. It's just different than the scenario you wrote about.

I personally worked for a number of jobs for a medical device manufacturer. Client was very happy. We agreed on a set rate for these. Then one day they called and said they wanted me to do the same jobs for about 45 percent less. I countered, they wouldn't budge. So I did a few far smaller jobs for them at their reduced price. Then they found someone who would just do the work cheaper; eventually put them on a pay to play...I'm sure they offered rock-bottom rates. Think I auditioned? Think no. Not about talent, not about characters, no about performance. About money. Client Vendor Money. Business. Different game.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of thing goes on outside the world of P2P everyday.

An actor is the voice of a product, commercial campaign, etc. They've been doing it for years. Then, out of the blue, their agent sends them an audition for the exact same buyer/creatives. The actor never knows why this is being auditioned. Perhaps they are just testing the waters, thinking of going in a different direction. The original actor has an opportunity to sway them into keeping them by virtue of auditioning. AND, the actor has an opportunity to include take 2, 3, etc. Different approaches that have never been explored or even asked for at previous sessions. The worse thing that can happen is, they pass. But you might find yourself doing more work.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an opposite side of this coin, too. On more than one occasion, I have heard from a client who told me I didn't get the job I auditioned for, but they were hiring me for a different job. No audition necessary.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: