VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another valuable lesson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Another valuable lesson Reply with quote

Well today I learned another valuable lesson in my journey. You can have really good week and think you are finally getting somewhere and then the wonderful world of VO slaps you back down an lets you know "patience young grasshopper!"
I had a ipDTL session with an agency in the UK this morning. I thought I was prepared and even had a coaching session with my coach last night over Source Connect Now to get me ready.
The session with the Agency was just to test my raw studio sound quality. It ended up that the signal on their end was as bad as Skype so I had to record my end and send the file.
When I listened back I was surprised how nervous I sounded to start off with and I also had a lot of mouth noise which is not usually a problem for me. I was really disappointed with the reads as I just didn't relax like normal. I know that this will come with practice but it makes me nervous about how I will react to my first in studio directed session when it comes. It seems I am not as confident as I first thought!!!!!

By the way. The Source Connect Now session with my coach was excellent. It was the first time we tried Source Connect and the quality was excellent, the set up was very easy and the best part was it is free to use!!! There was a little latency in the conversation but apart from that it was really good.

British Voice Over

Last edited by craigsvoicetalent on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!

I used to get really nervous when I did the first couple takes during any live session. During the first read I always sounded out of breath and lacked confidence. After about a year of regular sessions I realized that everyone on the call is hoping I'll do well. They picked me for the VO, I'm not trying to "win" anything anymore. That takes some of the pressure off.

Surviving a few sessions from hell sure did calm the nerves, too. Nothing like falling flat on your face in front of a crowd and then having everyone mad at you to get you over stage fright Smile
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They picked me for the VO, I'm not trying to "win" anything anymore. That takes some of the pressure off.

THIS.

A very wise coach says, ok, now do this audition as if it's the job. And you've had it for years.

Makes a big difference.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure who that coach was, Melissa, but that's brilliant!!!!

The reason a performer gets nervous is because they are trying to please others. There are many "others" out there that get in the way.

- your agent
- your parents
- your spouse
- the buyer who hired you
- the casting director
etc.

Bring that baggage into the session of the need to please and you will never be your creative best. Much of this is due to the fact so many are getting into vo for the money. Or, they've prematurely begun to rely on vo to pay the bills.

It should matter not if you book the gig. If you are able to have the same satisfaction with the audition as you do with the job, you are not likely to be in your head allowing that need to please show up as nerves. Just have fun!!!

Now, many are also putting themselves out there into the real world of competing before they are ready. They may have the chops, but they aren't emotionally ready. They have doubts. The doubt at the audition cannot be about booking. No one knows if they are going to book, and again, they shouldn't care. And odds are, you probably won't book it. So don't even fathom booking.

But if the doubt is about are you ready to put yourself out there, you aren't ready. That doubt will snowball and morph into nerves as your concern over being right and liked cloud your ability to be creative.
Velfin
Been Here Awhile

Location: Currently Eastside Seattle / Formerly SW Minneapolis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years in, I can finally do my first read-through without sounding too nervous. But then just a few months ago I attended a "VO workout" with some peers...I stuttered and short-breathed through my first read like it was Day One.

Oh VO, you do keep us humble sometimes.

+1 to Melissa's coach's advice, btw. And oh my does it help me when I can laugh at my flubs and joke instead of tensing up. Makes all the difference in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same coach says working in front of your peers is SO much harder and more nerve-racking than working in front of anyone else.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time working in front of myself - I am SO judgmental.

Put another set of ears on me - even if I don't see them - and I simply perform.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
...working in front of your peers is SO much harder...
I can certainly attest to the fact that doing a read in front of eX is far scarier than doing one done in front of a client:)

It is a serious point though. If I have any form of professional peer interaction (or review), I'm more concerned about their judgement than any client's. I think it's all about validation. Sure, a cheque that doesn't bounce is the best... but that's just money - and it pays the bills. An approving nod from a respected colleague is worth far more in the grand scheme of things.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
it's all about validation. Sure, a cheque that doesn't bounce is the best...

Repeat business isn't bad, either.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say that... but I wanted to keep it short because of the current anti-bloviate campaign.
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I feel suitably reassured!!!!
It just makes me laugh that for most of my early life I could perform live in front of 700 people 4 nights a week and it not bother me in the slightest. Although if I try and struggle to remember what I was like when I first started doing this I think I was pretty nervous also!
Al Moulliet
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed what you say is true, as a past life musician it was easy to perform at ease in front of a crowd of music fans that enjoyed what you do. But, to have to perform in from of fellow musicians in a one on one situation was nerve wracking. Although most musicians are judgy anyway (arms crossed , rolling eyes) Ahh the good old days of hair metal.

Al Moulliet
www.moullietvoicepro.com
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bob says. It's often trying too hard to please. It takes time and then one day you get over it. I'm not sure who the coach is that people are quoting, but it's all sound advice. Marice Tobias used to say ; "think Kevin Bacon shows up and says to himself "Jeez, I wonder how they want this read?". You just have to channel your inner-Bacon.

Then again you could follow my former path and overdose on coffee and cigarettes before an important session. Now that's a great way to sound both nervous and clicky!
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Colin wins on intuiting the coach I was referring to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: