VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I picked up a SM7B, and...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan DeMann

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: So I picked up a SM7B, and... Reply with quote

I found a dead mint SM7B in a pawn shop a couple of days ago for $200. I thought I'd give it a roll knowing that I could turn around and sell it if I didn't like it.

Like many have posted, it's pretty easy to get a good sound out of it. I have a low "concert radio spot" kind of voice, and this mic captures that vibe perfectly. My buddy that operates a recording studio pulls the windscreen off of his and runs a pop filter instead, claiming that the high-end response is better. I tried it with mine and couldn't tell any difference, but that's probably just my voice not going high enough to matter.

You do have to pour the gain to this thing, though. It takes a full 60db of gain to wake it up. I put my Cloudlifter in line with the preamp to keep from having to dime the preamp gain - much quieter that way.

I'll have to hook my Heil PR40 up and put them head-to-head. Should be interesting.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious, could you hear the mic noise? And if so, how are you going to deal with it? I tried one that a friend has for his recording studio (music) and I noticed immediately that there was a low hiss from self noise compared to all of my vo mics. Maybe I was just obsessing but it's hard to have dead silent and then hear "hissss" however slight in the background.

I'm certain that something like NS1 at about nothing would eliminate it but that just seems like a step backwards.

I was curious what your experience was.

btw, I had a cloudlifter with it also.
Dan DeMann

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. My signal chain is SM7B -> Cloudlifter -> Audient iD4 -> Harrison 32C DAW.

Now, if I run it through my mixer (Allen-Heath Qu16) I get noise. Using the Cloudlifter helps with that, but it's still there.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. My signal is stone cold clean until I hook up the SM7b and cloudlifter. Like i said, it's not a terrible amount of noise but it's there.

Thanks for the reply.
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the SM7B w/ Cloudlifter, particularly for audiobooks. Great sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: