VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

416 SHOCKMOUNT?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: 416 SHOCKMOUNT? Reply with quote

What shock mount are you using for your 416?

I've been using an Audio Technica for a while, but I just noticed it's really straining to do the job. The bands appear to be the worst for wear. It probably needs two clamps rather than one to support the mic.

I know there are a bunch of 416 users here.

What works for you?

Thx.

Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode mades a functional one for cheap.

This one is on my shortlist though

http://www.enhancedaudio.ie/m600series.html

Not sure it's any better but it sure does look cool!
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "original" Rode shotgun mount has been discontinued. It was inexpensive
and quite functional and supports a 416. I have one in the studio and one for travel (on a Stage Ninja). There were (are?) a couple of cheap knock-offs that won't fully support the mic and should be avoided. Those "side vents" on the 416 act like a mini chain saw on the shock mount support bands so you have to keep that in mind if you move it around. Rode has a totally different design that looks pretty good. The Rode SM4-R for about $50. It has two support "cradles" and no bands that'll wear out and break. Looks good for support and isolation.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Rode shotgun mount and liked it, and then I remembered that someone had given me an AKG mic for some reason and realized the mount for that would work well on shotguns even though it's meant for their cylindrical side address mics. I hooked it up and it seems to be perfect. They're $120 at B&H.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mount Bruce mentions is a great mount. It came with the AKG 414 that I've had forever.

I went back and looked at the specs on that Rode SM4-R and discovered that the support cradles are adjustable , fore and aft. Nice feature for the full sized shotguns or the shorter ones like the AT 875 mics. $50 at B&H.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great info. I appreciate it.

As I see it the problem I'm having is the amount of weight that has to be supported if you mount the 416 with ALL of the side slots exposed. That makes for a very lopsided situation weight wise for the bands to support since the mic is quite long.

I suppose I could mount the mic more toward its center. (making for a more "balanced" setup)

How important is it that all of the slots be uncovered?
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see about the Rode SM4-R is that the mic can be totally supported from one end. Those adjustable cradles (Rode calls them something else) can be moved closer together or more apart from each other. That's a nice option depending on mic length.

That way all of the "gills" can be left totally open if you wish. (although this is arguably not super critical in a VO studio...but maybe more so for "on location" TV/Film use depending on the environment).

(Wow...I've basically talked myself into ordering one....dammit !!)
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Rycote was recommended to me by a few people. I've used it for a few years now without incident. Designed for a boom/shotgun combo so the grip is tight and secure to ensure the elbow joint won't slip.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Rycote works well Reply with quote

+1 on the Rycote Smile

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rode SM-4R and the Rycote appear to be one and the same.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they are Lee. Looks like Rode uses the same "cradles" as the Rycote...the Rycote Lyre Suspension System as they call it. Both would make nice mic mounts for studio use and/or for the road.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of confused, the 416 is pretty light and I had the opposite problem with it in that it is too light to operate on a suspension boom without some type of weight holding it.
I purchased an Avantone and it works really well for a suspension boom. It's also cheap. You can set your mic pretty much wherever you want in it since you just slide it into position.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/867204-REG/Avantone_Pro_SSM_SSM_Professional_Shockmount.html

Also, Thanks Bruce! I have that shockmount from my 214. Ima try it.

thanks
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yarg28 wrote:
I'm kind of confused, the 416 is pretty light and I had the opposite problem with it in that it is too light to operate on a suspension boom without some type of weight holding it.
I purchased an Avantone and it works really well for a suspension boom. It's also cheap. You can set your mic pretty much wherever you want in it since you just slide it into position .(snip)

What confuses you? The original issue, if you check out the top photo, was the mount I was using tended to strain the support bands if I mounted the 416 at its end, and behind the "gills" (I love this term. Thanks to NorthEndVoice for that) It was so lopsided heavy that it was causing issues with the bands. Just the physics of the situation.

"Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world."
- Archimedes

As for your "arm." I feel ya. There are a lot of different sizes. I have two and they are on the light side evidentially. To support my Gold Lawson L47MP I have huge rubber bands attached to assist it's underpowered metal springs. (not particularly impressive - but I never have visitors) Whereas, as you said, The Sennheiser 416 (with the other same model arm) stays wherever I put it perfectly.

The Avantone you mentioned (seen here)

...is a clever design. Although I admit to being a little uncomfortable with the idea of trusting a thousand dollar microphone to it should the bands ever weaken.

I've discovered that over the years all rubber belts and bands eventually turn to the consistency of chilled molasses. (just ask one of my reel-to-reels that had to have their belts replaced)

Did I say "years." Maybe I should have said "decades." These days it's hard for me to tell the difference. Smile
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was confused because you referenced the 416's weight when my experience is that it's very light. Also, that you seem to be concerned with making sure that the interference slots are being 100% exposed causing setup balance issues when those slots should probably be semi superficial in a normal VO recording environment.

As for the Avantone, it is heavy (which is what I like about it) but you can center/position the mic anywhere you want in it to create the balance that you need. As for being concerned about the bands, I've had mine for a long time now and have no issues with it. Also, as for trusting it if the bands weaken; there are a ton of bands on it and they are strong. The likelihood that they would all break at one time and allow your 416 to slip out is probably less likely than say, Ed Mcmahon showing up with that great big check from Publishers Clearing House (when I was a kid I thought for sure we'd win that!). Furthermore, there is an XLR that is attached to the back of the mic so if for some freak and completely improbable reason all the bands broke at once, then having your xlr connected to the mic stand properly would prevent the 416 from sliding from the mount and hitting anything. It's a very nice mount, period. For $29 it's a steal. But there are plenty of others out there if you don't like it.

gary
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point.

I do not want to appear to be unappreciative of the info.

Mine was simply a case of too weak bands for mounting from a single point close to the end. Even though the 416 isn't heavy, mounting it so close to the end (to leave the "gills" exposed) made for a bit of a strain. I appreciate all of the alternative suggestions here. Yours is a good one and an inexpensive one, as well. At the moment, moving the mic so that it's held more toward the middle is a temporary solution.

But the double supports I like and will eventually move to that. Laugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: