VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DAW reconfigure---two computers or partition hard drive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
using external disks for recording and storage or audio.

So are you running your recording software on the external disk?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWard wrote:
To my knowledge, you can't run an audio software application separate from where your operating system is located.

Sure, you can. As long as the system recognizes the drive, it doesn't matter what drive the program is on, although I'm not sure what the benefit of doing it that way would be. It's the same as installing a program on a different partition of the same physical drive. The one thing you can't do is, install a program on an external drive on one PC and then swap that drive to a different PC and run the program from the second computer. (Or maybe you can; I've never tried it.) It will read the data that's stored on the external drive, but not run the program.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
i have my apps on a SSD - i record to an usb 3.0 external HDD.

something to think about writing to a SSD - SOME say a SSD has a finite number of read/write cycles. i don't know if that's true or not --- or how many "finite" is. but it MIGHT be something to think about if using a SSD as a scratch disk with constant reading/writing.

I did a Layman's Look-up on that fact, and came to the conclusion that consumers are not at significant risk. We're talking petabytes of writing before it becomes an issue on some drives, and the low end was +750TB.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Did you install the solid state drive yourself? I have considered doing that with my Mac Mini.

I had great success with www.macsales.com My 2011 Macbook Air was running out of storage, so I replaced my 128 gb SSD with a whopping 1TB SSD into my 2011 Macbook Air. They have thorough instruction videos for all of their upgrades as well.

What year is your Mini, Rob? Looks like they have upgrades for 2005-2012 models.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the input.

I got tired of basically being unable to work and bit the bullet and got a new iMac desktop. I may put a new drive into the Mini and keep it as a backup.

The question now is should I partition the hard drive on the new machine?

It has an 800 G hard drive and 3.1 mhz processor so it definitely has a lot more space and power than my previous DAW.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing any technical reasons why you should... but I can see absolutely no reason to partition the main internal drive on a new iMac. In fact, I can see many downsides, mainly to do with housekeeping the partitions and maintaining an arbitrary partition split between data and system files on the same physical media. In any case, you'd have to deinstall the OS from the single drive and then reinstall on the smaller partition. Why would you subject yourself to that for no practical benefit? Smile
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always tried to use an external drive to record. My studio has a new iMac i7 processor with an external SSD drive via Thunderbolt.

It handles multi track audio without a hiccup.

My portable setup however is a MacBook Pro and Focusrite Saffire, recording to the internal HD, and I've never had a problem for VO or single track. Where it balks is when trying to record long form Multi-track (Stereo) files. There are occasional issues with the drive not able to keep up. So what I do now is use the external drive when using muli microphones and recording.

I was able to record 4 tracks live for 2 hours, without any issue to the external SSD drive via Thunderbolt.

Not sure if that helps.

Monk

www.monksvoice.com
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for dedicated computer for media production. and keep that machine off line... shut off the wifi/ethernet access when working. QUARENTINE!

Only reason I have to partition is so a macbook can boot up as a PC and that needs it's own little startup partition.

Everything else is "where do I keep what I have and be able to find it?"
plus
"how do I back up everything regularly?"
THIS is my biggest issue. I am STILL in-process doing a little every day getting things in one place...
a drive is dedicated to MEDIA PROJECTS,
another to itunes libraries,
another to photo collections,
several wallet drives are my 7200 rpm location recording media

the text library is the killer with all the crap I think i might want someday.. technical papers, political diatribe, funny ads, writing, scripts, THAt stuff is a mess but getting better.
BACKING IT ALL UP is my big thing now... I need to duplicate the storage capacity 1.5 times to just break even.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: