VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini-Demos Critique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Mini-Demos Critique Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I had some "mini-demos" produced and put on my website. Honest feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.neilkhessvo.com/
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I at least assume they don't suck since no one has said so yet? 😁
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy. Ya know, they didn't suck by any means. But they also didn't curl my toes. Your reads are fine, the production is fine. But fine just doesn't cut it. 99% pursuing vo are fine. And a small handful have that little something extra that draws agents and buyers to them like a magnet. I'm not saying you don't have that little something extra. I just can't tell from these mini demos.

I went back and listened to your commercial demo again. That I like better than the minis. You know what it is??? The minis feel like demos. And this may just be me, but the mini demo just doesn't do it for me. Give me a great minute oozing with personality and variety over taking the time to listen to a half dozen minis.

But I'm old!!! Might just be generational. And you absolutely have talent! It's because if this I want to hear you take it up a notch. Wink
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob. I truly appreciate the feedback. I'll talk to the producer and see if we can try the reads again.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's the production, too. If they weren't, they feel like they were all recorded together. Same mic, same music library, etc. There's a sameness that makes them feel like demos. Even a demo made from scratch, and many of mine are, needs to feel broadcast real as if taken from different sources. Each time we work its in a different room, with different mics, different mixers, etc. A good demo producer creates demo spots with this same variety. It's an audio illusion that translates to an actor's versatility.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hire "KnockTheirF**KINGsoxOff" the new old demo company from Spitoon WI

Yeah, I know, I made 'em up!

Demos are not to get auditions, not to get management, not to get an agent but to get you jobs, HUGE JOBS, ENORMOUS JOBS with flashing lights and brass bands playing as you march through town at the head of the parade whilst mere mortals throw themselves at your feet weeping and wailing "you are THAT guy. WE ARE NOT worthy dood!"

The art of seduction is a dying art and in our business it is ESSENTIAL. Seriously!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Philip, here in the states a huge part of a demo's job is to get representation and auditions. And it's the auditions that get you the job. Sure, every once in a while a demo will get you work. But even with representation, often your agent needs to pitch your demo just to get you the opportunity to audition for a job. This is happening more and more these days.

The other factor these days is social media followers. It's getting very common for agents to get breakdowns that say, "Only submit actors with more than 20,000 social media followers." Not all genres of vo are asking for this. But many are. Social media is to buyers today what The Nielsen Ratings were in the in the 60s-2000s. It's a built in audience. We reach more of our audience with social media than we do/can by hiring a publicist. I'm not referring to the audition/booking brag. I'm talking about promoting the release/airing of the finished product. And total numbers of followers is not the end all. Who is following you is important. Buyers have ways of knowing if your followers are fake or purchased. This is stuff I resisted honestly until this year. Personally, I hate it. But to stay relevant and keep playing with the big boys, I had to give in to the dark side.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil K. Hess wrote:
Can I at least assume they don't suck since no one has said so yet?

Please read the "read me first" section at the top of this forum, especially the third paragraph. Thank you.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the irony in everything I wrote. Here's the key.

The art of seduction is a dying art and in our business it is ESSENTIAL. Seriously!

So, no matter the market, the geography, the received wisdom or in certain cases the received ignorance.

Due to the paranoia inspired by the Social Media element of the internet and the "GREATS" who pontificate from on high (No swipe at Bob, obviously) we need to master one thing alone in our business

Over a few years, someone I considered my best friend, my confidante, the most trusted soul in my world made a point of telling me who didn't like me and why, what I did wrong, why they vacillated from being ashamed, mad at or embarrassed by me. All the "caring, sharing" information was work related and the views expressed were those of other VO people. My best friend is now someone I consider I once met. The individuals who wanted me shot, stabbed, attacked by a fairly angry Duck, disgraced and stripped of my preamp by the International Voiceoverist Disciplinary Committee of Gstaad do not figure in my life or career at all. Why? FOCUS. My focus.

The demo, your demo, is the first kiss and you never know where it may take you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: