VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glutton for punishment!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Glutton for punishment! Reply with quote

I have been studying, listening and studying more and I am immensely thankful for all of the support from this community!

If you have time I would appreciate it if you could listen to this file:
https://soundcloud.com/user-113018621/craig-williams-commercial-demo
I am just playing around and trying to get better at the moment.
I want to make sure that I am improving and that my ear is getting better at figuring out what I need to know.
When I listen to this I think the order within a Top 5 would be:
1. Swinton
2. Barclays
3. Emirates
4. Audi
5. O2
I would appreciate any comments as I am just trying to find where I should be.
I think that documentary narration will be my strong point but I know that I need to work on a commercial demo as that is what most agencies look for.
This is not my demo. I am just doing what Philip suggested and using this to sandwich between other talent demos to give me an idea of where I need to be.

Last edited by craigsvoicetalent on Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to the first commercial only. Ignore everything else. Write down EVERYTHING you hear that is wrong with it. Listen to it at least 20 times. Keep listening until every minor point gets on your nerves and then fix it. Rinse and repeat. You are learning to nit-pick.

If you post in this section again before you have done that ....

craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Voice Over
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahahaha
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Rinsed and repeated! Reply with quote

OK. I am shitting myself as I fear that Philip is going to banish me to where ever voice over people get banished to! I have really tried to listen so hard to what I have been recommended and feel that I am making strides to get to my end journey. Every moment of my commute (approximately 2 hours per day) is spent listening to those who are more talented and experienced than myself. In this process I am relying on my own ear and due to the fact that I am a very insecure snowflake I would like a little reassurance that I am moving in the right direction! Wink
Any comments would be appreciated (except those that say I'm crap! Obviously!)
This is a re-recording of the 1st spot, nothing else.
https://soundcloud.com/user-113018621/barclays-121116-001

See you in banished land!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be not banished! Take any critique from people around here as a gem to help you grow. I like your overall tone. To me, there is too much of the same thing to be a good demo. Bob Bergen always say (I hear it ringing in my head from the years ago when I first heard him say it to me) don't publish anything that isn't BRILLIANT.

Who are you training with? What's your plan for development? You have a good sound, but it just needs to be refined and guided. Your second take doesn't sound like you...it sounds like you are trying to deter Phillip from pushing the banish button, and trying just a bit too hard.

Keep your head up my friend! You are in good company Smile
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened twice... and then went to your website to try and find what you really sounded like. I found what I thought was a more natural rendition of your voice in your Documentary clip.

During your daily 2hr drives, have you listened to demos by Philip Banks and Peter Bishop?
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It already seems as if I am not moving in the right direction from the replies so far with the new Barclays read. I thought it had a more upbeat, happy give us a try kind of feel than the original.
Jason. I already know the original "demo" is not up to standard which is why it is not on my website, only soundcloud but thanks for the comment.
I have been listening to some of the top commercial demos from some of the top British talent agencies.
I am working with a couple of coaches at the moment on an infrequent basis due to personal and work related constraints.
I see myself more comfortable with documentary, narration and corporate work but it seems a commercial demo is necessary. With this in mind I am going for the trustworthy, guy next door as that is really who I am.
I am in no hurry and I am listening to some very good advice that I will know when I am ready. I just want to be moving in the right direction.
And most of my comments are tongue and cheek! I appreciate all of the advice that I have been getting. Especially from Philip. It is helping me understand more about VO work and what is required.

Jim
I do have reads from Philip and Peter on my USB for the commute.

Thanks as always for helping me along my journey!

British Voice Over
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Still Listening Reply with quote

I can't say I have had a Eureka! moment yet but I think I am moving in the right direction. I am getting more comfortable with just being me. The last recording I submitted was after being away from the studio for 4 weeks and I can now hear that I was trying to hard. I was excited to be back in the booth recording and didn't manage to curb my enthusiasm! This was a good learning point for me. That how you feel going into the booth can really affect your read if you are not careful. I was excited to be recording again so this came through on my read. I am guessing that if you are not in a good mood when you go into the booth that this could also come across in your read. Still learning every day!
I have a coaching session booked tomorrow with David Goldberg from Edge and I have submitted this practice demo to give him an idea of what I am comfortable at and where I think I fit.
https://soundcloud.com/user-113018621/new-practice-demo-121816
If anyone has the time or inclination to give it a listen and comment then it would be appreciated.
My goal is to get as much coaching as I can between now and March of 2017 and then start marketing myself. Obviously if I get to this point and I think I am not ready then I will keep learning and practicing until I am ready.
Thanks as always and Merry Christmas!

British Voice Over
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: