VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voices.com Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

Welcome to the fold. I have seen a few of your threads. It may help us to know more about you. Where you are in the VO journey? What training have you had. Where are you getting most of your work from now?

If all of this is in a website somewhere, by all means, point us to it,

The advice here (not necessarily from me) is priceless, but people need to get a sense of you first.

Of course, once you do this you will be critiqued openly and honestly, so be prepared. It's a case of careful what you wish for, but you will come out on the other side better for it.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry to thread-jack, but I was wondering about the p2p's also; is one better than the other? Is v123 less of a scam since they process payments independently?

I have a home studio thats two months old-- Ive been an actor my whole life and a voice actor for about 8 years;

Heres my fav spot Ive done thus far

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7RZdvpC8TE

Ps I am in the market for a marketing/ business coach especially someone based out of nyc but Ill put that in another thread.

Thanks for your honesty and compassion for us relative n00bz out here!!!
RAINVO
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice123 is much better than Voices.com, if you're selective about auditioning for the higher priced gigs. The upfront cost/no monthly option is a higher barrier to entry so the talent pool is better IMHO. Plus most clients limit the number of auditions to less than 40 on average, but I never feel like I have to rush to "beat the clock". No Sure Pay. No "managed services" skimming the top off the budget. Budgets are usually specified more accurately and you work directly with the client. (The fact the Voices.com does everything they can to keep you from building relationships DIRECTLY with the client posting the job is the primary reason I never log in there much any more. If you want to grow a business you need to grow relationships, and they want the poster to be their client NOT yours) There's a lot of really good agencies posting lately on V123. I've had very good ROI from them and actually booked 4 gigs off them in the last week.

On a side note, I just saw that Voices.com just increased their Surepay "escrow" fee to 20 percent from 10 percent. SMDH

Last edited by RAINVO on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
RAINVO
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iannyc wrote:

Ps I am in the market for a marketing/ business coach especially someone based out of nyc

That's an easy one: www.edgestudio.com
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx so much Alex you ROCK!!!
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw.. how do you decide a gig is worth your time in the first place? For voices.com (thats the one Im on, strongly considering switching now), I have an over/under of, say, $500, but is yours tailored to the work or something simple like that?

I do believe its important to keep wages high by refusing to work when the price is too low.

Thanks again Alex
RAINVO
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go project by project. You don't want to limit yourself by an arbitrary overall budget minimum. For example,you might go as low as, say, $125 (like for a phone message/greeting script, a short small market radio tag or something like that). Volume often more than makes up for certain things. Like, say, some short internal corporate training vids that might be budgeted for $175-$400 a pop but they send you $14k or more worth of stuff in a year. Now commercial work is another story, but the majority of the steady work out there where you can get regular repeat-business clients, non-union at least, consists of things like web/explainer videos, industrials/training, elearning, & narration. In my experience, anyway. Just be flexible when it comes to market size, company size, potential audience, length of usage, and whether or not the particular client is one that could send you regular work down the road.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!

Hot damn its true VO people really are the best
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just resigned with V123 after several years of not paying. I wanted to see what, if anything had changed over the years.

Here's how I address the "do I audition" question.

First, I have the rate set at $450 as a minimum. The reason for that is that working for lower paying gigs (even if the rate is good for what you are doing), trains the system to send you the lower paying jobs. (At least that is the way it used to work - someone please let me know if that is no longer th case.) Also, I am not looking to establish relationships with lower paying clients in general.

Next, I check to see if the audition is only going to Middle Aged Females. If it is going out to everyone (Young Adult males/females, Middle Age males/females, Senior males/females) I pass.

Then I check the details. Many times, there are asking for something I am not somewhere in the notes.

Then I check the usage. National spot with Internet for $500? Delete.

Then I check the script. Ridiculous. Delete. Badly written. Delete.

I probably should check to see how many auditions in general the client reviews. I have submitted 23 auditions since signing back on and 14 have been "opened."

No bookings yet. But very busy with direct work, repeat clients, auditions from agents and referrals, so this is more of a when I have time exercise.
RAINVO
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
working for lower paying gigs (even if the rate is good for what you are doing), trains the system to send you the lower paying jobs.

This is still mostly the case - or at least the inverse: Focusing on auditioning (and getting rated well or hired) for the higher budget jobs will ensure those pop up in the queue. Auditioning for lower budges (i.e. Less than 400 or so) occasionally (less than 50% of the time) doesn't seem to hurt this.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: does v123 have anything analogous to voices' 'platinum membership' where you pay like an extra $2k for preferential treatment and status above other talent? Im ashamed to admit I found it kind of intriguing but also very gross-- but it would be nice to know that we were all on a relatively equal playing field with v123

-I
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people who buy the $395 annual membership feel like a schmo when they find out there are people who will always be ahead of them in line. From V123:

Quote:
What is the Platinum membership about?

The Platinum membership is our very VIP membership. The reason why it is VIP is because it is a very profitable option. As you know SmartCast will filter the invitations it sends to the Premium subscribers according to several factors. However, as a Platinum user, SmartCast will only check for match, nothing else, and you can audition for ANY project you like. Another amazing benefit that Platinum users have is that they will always show up front in the search feature which leads to many direct invitations.

We don't offer any trial periods for the Platinum Membership since Voice Actors start getting benefited from it right away. In order to keep this program exclusive, we offer the Platinum membership at the price of $4,950 annually. For further information please end us an email to help@voice123.com.

Juanita Casas - February 03, 2016 14:36

Source: http://support.voice123.com/hc/en-us/articles/207907563-What-is-the-Platinum-membership-about-

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5k??? jeez* (holy smokes!) that's a lot of beans... I guess if you can make long-term clients and you don't hafta go through them for payment every time.... Still definitely not for me at this juncture

*edited by the moderator

Last edited by iannyc on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason why it is VIP is because it is a very profitable option.

also - they're not very good at acronyms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: