VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Establish your creds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's reply goes in a file with the last multi page response.

It points out, at least to me, my biggest fault. Lack of focus.

His response is how you focus on a goal, and really drill down to do it. No one is going to come knocking on your door to give you a bucket of money. You need to create that opportunity.

Do I want to do character voices? I can't say that I do. I have, it's fun, but I'm not willing to relocate to L.A. to do it.

So it boils down to that famous question that I have yet to completely answer, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I'm an actor, I'm busy, I'm getting better gigs, but have I researched where I want to go? The way Bob lays out? Sheesh... no. That would take focus.

I have to work on that, after I'm done posting on Facebook, or surfing imgur, or prepping for a class that I'm teaching tomorrow night, and then there's the staged reading on Thursday and Friday and a gig with the A Cappella group on Sunday...

Focus. I need to get me some of that.

www.monksvoice.com
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy!

Ya know, I honestly think the Internet is partially to blame for many people's lack of focus. The immediacy of the internet, the need for instant gratification, etc., blocks focus. We suffer from electronic A.D.D.

The kind of drive and focus I have started way before I ever studied vo. I always knew what I wanted, and I also knew that nothing would stop me.

I'm well aware that the majority pursuing vo don't have the kind of focus from my previous post. Most have never delved into those kinds of strategic specifics. Those at the top do, but that's honestly the top 3%. It's that perfect marriage of brillant talent and a drive that has no excuses.

I only associated myself with the top 3% from the very beginning. You are as good as the company you keep. I emulated what the most successful did to achieve career success. This meant spending a ton of money and a lot of sacrifice, and not putting myself out there until I was absolutely ready. I had to learn the value of the word no, passing on jobs that would lead to nothing in favor of jobs that were career boosters. And I had to learn the art of schmoozing. Back then to rub elbows you had to do it in person. Today it's computer to computer. But the end result, which is establishing and nurturing relationships, is the same. Though, not as personal...sadly.

The kind of strategy I posted above is new-ish. That same focus used to come in the form of snail mailings. The Internet has made it cheaper, so the major investment now is just time. Because I have an east coast agent in need of auditions by 9am EST, and I'm in LA, I have to get up often at 4am just to get my reads out.

And trust me, outside of my vo career I'm busy! But I make time for my vo marketing. It's a choice, and it still requires sacrifice. But this is what I want out of life and my career.

And I just used animation as a genre example. My advice to everyone is to figure out specifically what you want out of your vo career. Go genre by genre: commercials, narration, audio books, etc. Just start bullet pointing. Jot down what you've worked on, what you've auditioned for, who you've met, who you'd like to meet, etc. With more thought, one bullet point might grow to five. Start connecting the dots. This will help you create a career strategy. And if you've never kept track of this info, start now!!! It's never too late. Today's assistant is tomorrow's producer. You will be amazed how many pages you will fill up with bullet points.

And for those of you shopping agents, if you include in your cover letter what you've worked on, who you worked with, ad agencies, producers, writers, casting directors, etc., this will impress far more than the demo and generic "I'm seeking vo representation" cover letter. You need to bring something tangible to the table TO represent. You mention a buyer whom the agent knows and works with, you are a much easier sell when you audition for them. You bring to the agent buyers they don't know, and you come with built in business for you and the rest of the agent's clients.

This is the "business" in show business.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I feel like I owe you some money for that flow chart post. I dont even want into animation (I mean it would be AWESOME, but I'm not even close!) but this over arching strategy seems applicable to other categories.

Funny thing is that I was seriously on voicebank doing cross reference work right before I came to vo-bb. I'm beginning to formulate my agent strategy. I'm getting close and I like to plan ahead. I was thinking of some of the talent that I know and checking them on voicebank. Then it hit me; "vo-bb numbnuts". No better place to look for qualified talent.

Then I ran into this thread and your post.

Thanks again, Bob and others on here that graciously give advice. Some of us are still trying to do it "the right way" and the collective wisdom of this community is most helpful.

gary
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so that was you just searching me on Voicebank? Darn! Thought I was getting a job!
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob FTW.
Thanks for your insightful and thorough response. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

www.karynobryant.com
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karyn's tag-line says in part:

Quote:
At age 3, I wanted to be a Fire Engine!

If you had Bob's check list back then, you could be running around with your lights blinking and making a lot of noise.

What's that? That's what happens now when you go into the studio?

Never mind. As you were.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? My cred?

Well, I'm totally awesome.

It's one of those things you just are kind of born with. You are either awesome at life, or you aren't.

I can't teach it to other people (I've tried and failed). Despite the fact that I can pretty much do anything I put my mind to, teaching others to be awesome isn't possible.

Loosing 70+ pounds, getting under 8% body fat and competing in a body building show? I can teach you that. Being awesome while doing it? Not so much.

Cooking a beef wellington that isn't soggy? I can teach you how to do that.

Build a survival snow shelter in -30F weather with a wind chill of -70F, and survive for 72 hours with only water and a granola bar? I can teach you that.

Some of you are awesome as well, and you probably are nodding in a agreement. Awesomeness and being awesome at life are simply things you can't teach. Some of us are born with it, others have learned on our own how to be awesome at the things we do.

Now, some might call it arrogant or egotistical. Nah, that's only if we rub our awesomeness in people's faces who aren't awesome. I feel for people who aren't awesome like me, I do. I've done awesome outreach, but it usually fails.

I generally keep to myself and listen to the Lego Movie song in the shower about how "Everything is Awesome" to start my day, it seems the universe heard my need for a personalized theme song.

I can't say I have the "midas touch" and things turn to gold around me.....but things do become a whole lot cooler and more awesome when I show up. People smile more, laughs are louder, moods improve, fun is had and life is lived more fully.

Smile
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Establish your creds Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

First Class Degree Law and Economics Merton College, Oxford.

Merton?! Gosh...well this is awkward...

(And yes, that's the Turf Tavern...)

((But actually I didn't study at Exeter. Just worked there.))

Myers Briggs for me is ENFP - Looks like I am the sole Extrovert here on the VO-BB forums.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidence or WHAT? I didn't study at Exeter either! AWESOME!
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Bloody. Way.

Anyone else here not study at Exeter College?
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to uni at St. Andrews. Smile I got an education in how to walk against a never-ending Fife wind tunnel.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Exeter... back in about '72. We were four-up in my Reliant Regal Supervan III and made it down the A30 & A303 from West London managing about 70mpg! The bit from Exeter to Paignton was quite hilarious (frightening) as the gravity assist on one heavily-laden, under-braked, plastic tricycle barreling down the hill into Torbay was a little overwhelming. More sedate was the coaxing needed to get the labouring 700cc wonder-machine back up the hill and back on the path to civilization.

Oh, and I've got a RoSPA Cycling Proficiency Award and the ASA Personal Survival (Bronze) Swimming Award. I'll probably never drown after riding my bike into the canal.... so there's that, I guess.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught a one-day class in filmmaking at Philips Academy in Exeter, NH.
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish! I grew up in Paignton, Torbay. Will the coincidences of this day never cease?!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Philips Academy in Exeter, NH.

Exeter, NH is named after Exeter, UK, which gets its name from its location on the River Exe, which presumably is named in honor of Melissa Exelberth (a/k/a eX; those Brits are always adding needless extra letters to their words).

Completing the circle, the Lindt Chocolate factory outlet store is in Exeter, NH.

cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: