VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Temp Demo for Ryleigh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: A Temp Demo for Ryleigh Reply with quote

So I finally broke down and realized that I can't get by with Ryleigh's old (1.5 year old) demo until she gets her expander out and braces off this summer -- she just doesn't sound like that anymore, and we keep getting requests for 6-8 year olds.

So here's Metal-Mouth Ryleigh:

https://soundcloud.com/kristinlennox/rmill-vodemo-temp

Hopefully it showcases her personality, versatility, and that she can still do scared, little, kidnapped video game girls, if need be. Smile

BUT I'm torn on the ending: I want to end with her improvised bird calls, because it bookends the zoo spot (and is pretty dang impressive)... should I keep the summer camp piece, too? Other thoughts?

Thanks!

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. Maybe I need to check with my dentist and see if I can get a mouth full of metal !!!

As to your questions about changes to the content of the demo and additional demos.... exceeds my pay grade.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd drop the first cut all together because it's not as interesting as the rest and features mostly the guy, and find a way to move the other zoo bits forward. They're quite fun. The other material is fine and I can't really hear the metal in her mouth. Go for it.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with bruce about the 1st "zoo" bit --- i don't think you lose anything by dropping it. maybe move the "city made of light" bit to the front --- i like that one. i like the "zoo" stuff sprinkled throughout.

* i will also say that --- to me --- she sounds a lot older than 6-8 in most of this.

Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I gotta say:

Damn, she's GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow. Impressive.

I agree with dropping the first spot.

I'm not wild about the "Oh help me, Please" bit at around :20. Everything else is so clean and strong and well-produced and this sounds a lot like the stuff you hear when some beginner in his basement starts trying to record character voices with no production or real backstory. I'd chop that one out.

And right after THAT piece, the little "And still... on the radio" piece is just odd. It seems like an out-of-place snippet that has no beginning or end (or purpose).

Everything else is jaw-droppingly terrific, and I can't hear any metal-mouth either. But then my hearing sucks.

I can see where she gets her talent from. She's a natural. And then some.

www.voicebyscott.com
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you guys! Really helpful!

OK, so if I drop the first zoo spot, won't that ruin the "joke" of her yammering on about stuff people can't see because it's radio...? I need the guy to set it up, don't I?

And Scott -- the "help me, please" bit is only in because she gets cast ALL THE TIME for helpless little girls in video games, so I kind of need to keep it. Do you think if I put some production under it, that would help?

todd ellis wrote:

* i will also say that --- to me --- she sounds a lot older than 6-8 in most of this.

Todd, that's the problem -- her current demo sounds younger, and she's getting requests to sound 6-8 when she DOESN'T sound like she's 6-8 anymore... That's why I have to make a new demo. I think she sounds about 10-12, in this one.

my website
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin Lennox wrote:

And Scott -- the "help me, please" bit is only in because she gets cast ALL THE TIME for helpless little girls in video games, so I kind of need to keep it. Do you think if I put some production under it, that would help?

If you think it's necessary because she's often cast for that kind of role:

1) can you get audio from actual work she's done in that vein to use instead of the piece you currently have there?

and, if not:

2) I'd suggest creating a new piece. She's talented enough that she can understand about creating a real character who's really in dire distress. I just don't hear it - or believe it - in that snippet. If you can't get your hands on an actual session piece, I'd work on creating and recording a new one that stands up to the rest of the demo. And yes, adding production elements wouldn't hurt. But first and foremost we have to believe HER bit in it. I'm betting that's one of the first things Bob Bergen would say about it.

Everything else in her demo is too strong and that one byte stands out for not being up to snuff with all the other truly outstanding pieces.

www.voicebyscott.com
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott has a great point, and since its a different genre/medium , shouldn't it have it's own demo anyway?

She is incredibly talented, by the way. Smile
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA -- if I tried to put together a demo that was just her video game stuff, it would be nothing but little girls in distress and creepy dolls. That's pretty much all she does... Laugh Plus, all of her agents have only requested a generic demo, so until she hits the teen years, I think we can get away with it.

I'll keep tinkering. Scott, I can't get the actual audio without playing the game and figuring out how to capture it that way, but we can definitely write some different lines and work on developing her character... Smile

my website
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that might be the case for younger talent, but wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an aside --- joseph's "8 year-old" demo is still floating around out there in places & i get calls every now & then for that voice. i tell them i fired him. he's 16 now --- just another male vo on the pile. the good news is - he's over it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: