VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First audio book offer! Hire an editor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. I have done about 10 audiobooks and I do my own editing, but I also had a decent audio editing background from doing radio production. (not the same thing as audiobooks I know, but I think it has helped.)

Aside from the editing, do you have what you need to properly master the final product? That would be a primary consideration I would think.

But as Scott Pollak pointed out, 1.5 finished hours is nothing in my experience. Most of the ones I do are more like 8-10 finished hours.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read conversations where it appears that some people use the words edit and master as interchangeable.

Your post, as I read it, seems to suggest they are two totally different processes. Maybe having no kinship.

Bring me up to speed on the terminology.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like audiobooks are a major part of your business, correct? Anyone who does audiobook narration full time outsources or works with publishers who do the grunt work.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think professional sound engineers would considering themselves "grunts".

Correct, full-time talent does outsource, but I'm not "full time" right now.

When I do manage to achieve that level, however, I'll have a firm grasp on what is going to happen to my audio when it's sent to be edited.

Last edited by DenaliDave on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
if can do something myself, why should I?

Remember that next time you want to complain about some company not hiring a pro voice talent and doing it themselves.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:
DenaliDave wrote:
if can do something myself, why should I?

Remember that next time you want to complain about some company not hiring a pro voice talent and doing it themselves.

The difference is people *thinking* they can do something themselves, and me *KNOWING* I can do something myself.

I don't hold myself back or limit myself.

EDIT: Take for example this afternoon, I'm teaching myself how to use Blender (3-d modeling software) to create a youtube intro. I have some friends that use it, and there are youtube tutorials for everything. If it turns out what I make sucks, I won't use it -- but at least I tried.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about your skill, but if I had a nickel for every person who THOUGHT they knew how to do something and didn't... Hence all the crappy audiobooks you've listened to.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inoccent
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a relatively small number of books. They became laborious because of the editing. I can edit... but I find it takes me an inordinate amount of time (because I spend all the time procrastinating) and now, unless it's a short story, I outsource.

The math is simple. Doing everything, I have a production ratio of around 6:1 (which is not particularly good... see earlier comment about being slow). Let's assume a 10-hour book for $300 pfh. 60 hours of work for $3K, that $50 per work hour. Now, if I outsource the editing/proofing at $50 per finished hour, I'm actually working around 25 hours for $2,500 ... $100 per hour.

I can edit well... but I can get a little granular and it takes me a long time. When I pay someone else, I'm paying for their skill and expertise... which usually translates into them being able to do the job far more quickly than I can. I appreciate the comments about hearing yourself and honing your skill, but I think it's just as valuable to have another set of ears on something before it's released to the publisher.

Edit a finished hour, see how long it takes you and then get a set of independent ears to review it. You'll then know a) if you can do it, and b) whether you want to take the time to do it. The biggest issue for me was letting go of it, but once I did I was able to look forward to the narrating rather than dread the editing!
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm picking up on a common element in this discussion. Some of us come from radio and/or radio production backgrounds. I did, with 30+years in the biz. I began doing DIGITAL audio editing in 1996. So I have decades of experience doing it, and I also greatly enjoy it.

Some folks either labor at it or find it to be an odious task.

If you are skilled at editing and enjoy it, then edit your own.
If you are NOT, then don't.
If you have so much work it is more cost effective to outsource the editing, then you should.

Contrary to what some may believe, one answer does not fit all.

www.voicebyscott.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other reason not to proof/edit your own stuff is because you WILL miss things. That time you read it wrong while narrating? There's a good chance you will miss it in the proofing stage, too.

My editor will often send me back a pickup and it will take me 3 times to listen to that section of audio before I realize I said it wrong.

You absolutely need a fresh set of ears to hear for mistakes.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:

You absolutely need a fresh set of ears to hear for mistakes.

I can agree with you on that. That's a great axiom to use in all aspects of life. I'm a manager in my bread-n-butter profession, and every time I get a new employee I call them "fresh eyes" and make sure I listen to what they're seeing.

It totally is possible to listen to/hear our own voice so much that we become biased or "deaf" to things others hear.

Now, if you're doing 1-2 books a month and they're short...you probably can do what some authors do, and "put the project away" for a day or so and come back with fresher ears. I do that with books I write, you'd be amazed at what you notice!

If audio books are your main source of income? That just isn't practical, and even I will admit that. The money you'd save doing it yourself doesn't make up for the hours you aren't producing more content to be edited. It's simple math. I do get that, I truly do.

I'm from a younger generation though and have been using programs like Adobe Photoshop since I was 12...and most media editing programs share a lot of similarities. For me, it isn't a huge pain or drugery. Actually, the most boring/longest part is taking out bad takes. I find, however, the more I narrate the less mistakes I make and the more efficient the process has become.

Hopefully someday I'll actually NEED to have some edit my books Wink That'd be great! But right now? I like learning the entire industry from A-Z ...

You see, I foresee a day when I move beyond being the one reading, and the one recruiting and hiring talent, possibly doing a bit of editing myself, teaming with print publishers and producing audio books with my own company. I'll need that experience, even if I'm hiring sound engineers.

And who'd have thought Vanilla Ice of all people...

Quote:
Listen, if you don't talk big game, you never get anywhere. If you don't think big, you don't get big. Some people call it egotistical, some people call it high hopes, some people call it confidence. It's all in how you want to dissect it.

cool

:thumbsup:
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:

I'm from a younger generation though and have been using programs like Adobe Photoshop since I was 12...and most media editing programs share a lot of similarities.

If you think this is about being able to use software then.... I got nothing.

Do what works for you wherever you are in your career. But keep your eyes looking ahead to how the process works in the professional world and work toward that.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's an easy answer, although it seems to me that you are interested enough in producing a good product that investing the time to do ALL of the work yourself is a worthwhile endeavor.

How much do you know about compression? Using an expander? Noise floor? Applying compression/gating/anything else in such a way that it has the desired effect, but isn't noticeable to non-engineers (and, hopefully, engineers) listening to the final product? Do you already have a plan in place of how to master your files in such a way that they will meet ACX standards (I assume this is an ACX gig)?

For beginners, there is a LOT to learn in order to edit/master your files yourself so that the end result is a great product. And it's COMPLETELY separate from the acting. I think I'm doing a really good job because I've never had anything bounced back by ACX and the rights holders I've worked with have been very happy with the end product (and some are at publishing houses outside of ACX), and I still consider myself maybe one rung up from "rank beginner." If that.

I respect Jeffrey's opinion a lot, especially in the field of audiobooks, but I disagree with the advice, "Always hire an editor," as much as I disagree with any "Always..." advice. But be very, very sure that you want to invest the time it's going to take to do a GOOD job editing and mastering your own work before you go down that road.
@RichMillerVO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: