VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alkalol Saline Nasal Spray - Home Remedy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Alkalol Saline Nasal Spray - Home Remedy Reply with quote

There are several brands of saline nasal spray, and I found the basic variety (generic brands) are just as good as the name brands. But I recently decided to start making my own... adding Alkalol... and it's great.

If you're going to do this, you do NOT want to use common table salt; it has ingredients to keep the crystals from clumping together. I buy Kosher salt, whose container's ingredient list states simply: "Salt."

You're going to be boiling the water, of course, but because the goal is to kill any nasty stuff in it, I use water from my PURŪ filter pitcher and bring it to a full rolling boil and leave it that way for at least two minutes. Better safe than sorry.

I saved the spray bottle from the last store-bought saline solution. It's a 2-ounce container and made of soft plastic.

The water/salt ratio below is confirmed by several sources, but you can change the amount of Alkalol to suit yourself.

Put one half-teaspoon Kosher salt into microwave-safe measuring cup.

Add 8 ounces (filtered) water.

Boil for 6 minutes (see above) then cool before refrigerating in covered container.

When needed, put your preferred amount of Alkalol (I use 3 tbsp/1.5 oz) into the 2-ounce oz spray bottle, then fill remainder with saline. Return the rest of the plain saline to the refrigerator.

Delightfully refreshing.

(Edited to correct the size of the spray bottle)

Last edited by Mike Harrison on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also pharmaceutical-grade salt, which IMHO, is the best. Often it is sold as "neti salt".

I have tried Alkalol, but have settled on the NeilMed rinse (which is all kinds of awesome). I just couldn't get past that minty-fresh feeling in my sinuses from the Alkalol. But other folks have better luck with it.

Smile

www.karynobryant.com
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use alkolol in a neti pot (with neti salt) to clear out my sinuses which have hisotrically always been problematic. I'd never considered making a nasal spray, but am now strongly considering it! Thanks for the idea!
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alkalol Saline Nasal Spray - Home Remedy Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
When needed, put (2 tbsp) Alkalol into 1.5 oz spray bottle, then fill remainder with saline.

1/4 cup = 2 oz. = 4 tablespoons

So 2 tablespoons = 1 oz.

So the solution that you're using is 2/3 Alkalol? Just wondering if the measurements I'm seeing are what you're intending.
@RichMillerVO
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Rich.

But I have to admit: when I first posted this, my ratio was 3 tbsp of Alkalol, which was good for me, but I discovered that strength before I read that the bottle size was 1.5 ounces and that 3 tbsp equals 1.5 ounces, yet I was still able to get some plain saline in the bottle.

Sorry for the confusion.

So I now believe the bottle will actually hold 2 ounces. But, in either case, yes: I prefer a little more Alkalol, so I use 3 tbsp (1.5 oz) of it and fill the rest (0.5 oz) with saline.

However, I can tell you that if I were to use that same ratio in my Neti pot (a half-cup), it would be too much. But for the occasional spritz, it's a refreshing little jolt.

richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. Smile
@RichMillerVO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: