VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a good Philly Cheesesteak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good Philly Cheesesteak Reply with quote

Hey there,

Me and my shadow are planning a trip to the East Coast in August. (I know, I know! When you combine the heat and humidity with hot flashes, I'll be a soggy mess!)

Arriving in historic Philly (from historic Fredericksburg VA) on the 19th via the train and plan to hop back on the train on the 21st to continue on to historic Hudson NY - perhaps with an overnight in The City.

Looking for suggestions on a "nice" B&B (or reasonalbly priced interesting hotel) in the historic area of Philly and a few ideas on where the cool VO people hang out.

Arlene (aka Connie)
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come farther North!!!

Love that picture, My Lady.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you must have a cheesesteak from Pat's. Truly a greasy, Cheese Whiz laiden, fat packed, banquet on a Philly hoagie roll. Right on Passyunk Ave., in da hood of my childhood in South Philly.

http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/

And like White Castles (a.k.a. Sliders and Gut Bombs) in the Midwest, they always seem to taste the best at 3:00 AM when yer good 'n ripped.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie, I highly recommend The Kennett House in Kennett Square, PA. It is one of the best B&B's in the Philly area, Carol and Jeff, the owners, are amazing people. The house has been there forever. Now, Kennett Square is the mushroom capital of the world and there are places that could use a "stick up" but when you see the size of the roses, you'll fall out. Speaking of roses, Kennett Square is home of the DuPont's world famous garden, Longwood Gardens. There are four gardens in this country worth seeing and Longwood is one. Too bad you're not going there this time of year because they put on an amazing fireworks show with water fountains.

Book as early as possible.

Kevin

(had to edit a link)

Last edited by kgenus on Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.... scratch that, I just read "historic section of Philly" ... but for anyone else travelling through ... LWG.

Kevin
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie---It's been a few years since I've been to this hotel but it's a good one right in Center City---Yes, Philadelphia in August may be pretty steamy,. but you'll have a great time and find wonderful restaurants in the Rittenhouse Square area near this hotel. There are plenty of other hotels near there too, but I remember this one being quite nice.

www.lathamhotel.com/
dmgood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good Philly Cheesesteak Reply with quote

Quote:
Then you must have a cheesesteak from Pat's.

...Or Gino's just down the street!!

The great cheesesteak rivalry continues :wink:

While you're in the Italian Market area be sure to get a hot strip of Philly soft pretzels at Federal Pretzel Bakery, some great rolls/bread at Sarcone's, cheese/olives at Di Bruno Bros. and Cannolli at Isgro's. You'll leave happy!!

For a real treat, though, head down to Tony Luke's and get a Roast Pork Italian with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe... Outstanding!! And the cheese fries there are amazing.

http://www.tonylukes.com/menu.htm

Here's a great site for Philly food. Holly used to own the Upstairs Cafe and cater the Philly area and he knows his food. I give it 5 grease stains!!

http://www.hollyeats.com/

Enjoy!
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longwood Gardens........Ahhhhh. I had forgotten about Longwood Gardens. So many wonderful memories there. In college my friends and I would smoke a j and go there and wander. That was quite awhile ago, but if I remember correctly (and that is always the question!), there are formal gardens, several greenhouses with different "environments", and lots of hidden nooks with a "secret garden" feel, with ponds and gazebos and lots of incredibly beautiful flowers. Connie, go if you can.

Regarding food. Where do I start? If you have limited time, for sure hit Soufilly and the Italian market. We all have our favorite places for cheesteaks and hoagies, but Pat's is a good recommendation. I grew up in Philly, and now live in Oregon. When I go back I order about 3-dozen soft pretzels from the deli in my Mom's neighborhood, freeze them and bring them back to Oregon in my suitcase. My kids (native Oregonians) fall on them like hungry wolves, and they eat them in true Philly style with cheap yellow mustard. When they were little they also demanded TastyKakes, but not so much anymore. I used to take them into the aforementioned deli (where the Italian owners and their sons make every woman who walks in the joint feel beautiful & sexy), and tell them to just breathe in in, 'cause there ain't no place dat smells 'dis good in Oregon.

What lovely thoughts for a Saturday morning. Now I'm hungry.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheese wit, inside out!

otherwise you'll be sent to the back of da line, Rookie!!!!
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Philly Cheesesteaks my Dave and I ever had were right there at 30th St. Station. There are a couple of places that make them and they're equally good... Just follow your nose and you'll find 'em. >^_^<
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Philly once. (Never had a cheesesteak.) Never been to Spain, but I've been to Oklahoma, and I kinda like the Beatles. (That's "old peep's rap" for you "young moderns").

Speaking of travelling Connie, I'm coming to San D. for my first visit, last week of July. What's a famous San Diego dish? (All obvious jokes aside, here.)
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O'Neill wrote:
What's a famous San Diego dish?

Anything and everything you can put salsa on... especially "fish tacos"! I've eaten fish tacos all over San Diego. Rubios works for me.

If you're into Italian food... check out Filippi's on India street, or Buca Di Beppo on 6th... both downtown.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Bailey. Salsa - yup. Fish - yup. Tacos - naturally! All together?? Errr.

Say,,Italian is sounding mighty good right now! Thanks !
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: That is really too funny! Reply with quote

Dennis O'Neill wrote:
Ok Bailey. Salsa - yup. Fish - yup. Tacos - naturally! All together?? Errr.

Bailey, you really need to get out more - of course Fish Tacos! Now Rubios is OK, but if you want fast Mexican, then there are lots of little hole in the wall places that are even better AND a lot cheaper. They are all modeled after the original Robertos and call themselves, Rolbertos or Robelertos or some slightly different name. There is are two within walking distance from my house - open 24 hours so that you can get your 5 rolled tacos with guacamole fix for $2.50 anytime of the day or night.

I'll be around the last week in July, so be sure to send me a note before you get here and perhaps we can all meet up for a fish taco in a slightly more upscale place with a view of the ocean.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Fish Tacos Reply with quote

Sorry Bailey - I meant to say Dennis...

Dennis - when you get to San Diego, we'll be sure to get you a fish taco or burrito somewhere so that you know the bliss...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: