VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rates?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Rates? Reply with quote

I responded to an ad on Craigslist and received a response. They like my demo and want me to come in to do an inhouse demo and to meet me.

In the email, they mention the following, "Typically, we've been paying $50 per spot, for reads :60 and under. Is that a figure you are comfortable with . . ."

I've searched through the forum for information on rates and gotten quite a bit of information but I am still a bit confused. What do you think? Should I be comfortable with this figure?
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rates? Reply with quote

jrodriguez315 wrote:
What do you think? Should I be comfortable with this figure?

Joe,

When I was first regularly doing voiceover work in 1983, I made $25 per hour with a 2 hour minimum from the video production house where I worked as a sort of "house" voice for about 4 years. It gave me a great start and a tidy supplement to my meager local radio staff announcer income.

I won't work for rates anywhere close to $50 anymore, but if I were just getting started...I might very well. I'd have to evaluate what my time was worth. You need to do the same for yourself.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In house demo?" Are they asking for an audition or are you tracking a spec spot? Either way get paid for your time. Up front. That "audition" might end up being a spot later on.

Some Craigslisters prey upon less experienced talent and get cheap rates for what could be a national gig and be allowed to use it forever. If you can find out more info, without ruffling their feathers, it will help you make that decision.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Although I am not one to quote rates, there is some great information on how to set rates in James Alburgers latest edition of his book: The Art of Voice Acting.

Like choosing your personal microphone* (or underwear), setting your rates is and should be a personal thing. You may choose to follow certain guidlines set by a union such as AFTRA or you may find that local average rates are more suited to your situation. You need to do the research and set YOUR rates accordingly.

The rates that I set for my VO work are different that what someone else in my own market may set for his/her voiceover work. So it follows that your market and needs will be different from another persons market and/or needs.

What I charged 35 years ago does not mean I would charge the same rates today. If I had the same skills, talent, and resume' as Don LaFontaine, I could charge the same rates as DLF. But I do not. I charge very close however (because I can...).

Do some research and find out if, and I quote: "you are comfortable with (that rate)". If you are not, then don't accept it, if you are - then - go for it.

It is your choice.

Toodles

Frank F

* See: VO-BB> Gear> Neumann M-147 for reference.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$50 a spot isn't too bad starting out (unless it's for NYC proper). If you can strike a deal, go for it. Get several spots under your belt, get copies of the completed spots for sure, and you'll have a bunch of material for your next demo. Then you can work your way up the financial success ladder.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the information and advice. While it might be a bit low, as Brian said, $50 a spot isn't too bad plus it'll be good experience, I may get some nice pieces out of it for my demo and it'll be another good credit for my resume. Then I can "work your way up the financial success ladder"!

I will try to connect with this company and see what comes of it.

Thanks everyone.

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: