VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help with mic sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: need help with mic sound Reply with quote

Hello Everybody. I was wondering if I could get an opinion on sound difference, or lack thereof between 2 mics.

Here is one with my old mic, an AT 2020

https://soundcloud.com/paul-stefano-171654666/image-film-paul-stefano

And my new Oktava 319,

https://soundcloud.com/paul-stefano-171654666/1912-pike-paul-stefano

Any difference in Sound that you hear? Is it worth keeping one over the other?

Thanks,

Paul
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening on quite average laptop speakers here, I don't detect any horrible hideousness from either. The 2020 has more emphasis up there in the treble, and a thinner sound; the Oktava is more mellow.

I'm loath to get rid of any equipment. Do you have to keep only one? Mightn't you need either and want to have both at hand?
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually finding the Oktava difficult to use for other reasons. I have to max out my pre-amp to get proper volume out of it, and that creates more room noise.

Both being close to equal, I will probably just stick with the AT2020.

Also, things changed yesterday when I booked an audiobook gig based on my audition using the AT2020 setup. I don't want to mess with things now.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that Soundcloud compresses the audio so the sound is not full-quality.

I personally don't like the Oktava at all on your voice (as used). It is really harsh and nasally sounding to me...but it REALLY depends on how your are using it and what your room sounds like.

I would use the AT2020 and completely stop thinking about gear. Just learn how to use it, upgrade your room sound, and get better at your craft. When YOU can hear the difference and KNOW that upgrading would make a necessary increase in your sound THEN start messing with mics. For now, learn how to get the best sound possible from the AT2020 (or the Oktava...it would be a great lesson in using the gear). You can't know the capabilities of a car until you REALLY know how to drive.

It is way easier to just buy new equipment than it is to really learn how to use it.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, thanks. That's what I was hearing out of the Oktava too. Sounds even worse uncompressed.

I'm a fiddler, by nature. The kind of guy who has owned 10 smart phones this year! Always looking for better/different.

I think I am going to just stick with my AT2020 for now. Its good enough for my level till I get better, as you said.

With an actual job to do, consistency is key so messing with any part of the chain really, is stupid now., I am smart enough to know that (I think)
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Jason said.

www.voicebyscott.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the at 2020 is a solid reasonably priced mic. i still use one to travel with. don't crowd it & it will serve you well.

paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love the AT2020 for my current budget and skills. I was really worried about perceived sibilance in voice so I bought the Oktava 319 because I heard it was helpful for that. Then in my other thread somebody said I don't have too much sibilance. Also as some said the Oktava sounds like garbage for my voice.

It's true that mics are a VERY personal thing

Thanks to all for the confirmation on what I was hearing
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulstefano wrote:
I'm actually finding the Oktava difficult to use for other reasons. I have to max out my pre-amp to get proper volume out of it, and that creates more room noise.

Minor issue, but let me quarrel with you a bit on that logic. When you have to turn the pre-amp gain up, you may get some added noise, but is it ROOM noise or is it HARDWARE noise.

In the end, noise is noise and you do what you can to get rid of it. But you can only get rid of noise that you can correctly identify.

I keep and XLR mic plug on my desk. It has no cable, it doesn't have a personal realationship with any mic. It has a 150 ohm resistor soldered between terminals 2 and 3. Set my gain control where I like and plug in the "dummy plug". If the noise is still there, it isn't room noise.... it's internal hardware based noise.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:

but is it ROOM noise or is it HARDWARE noise.

I guess I really don't know. Suffice it to say, with my current knowledge, and the fact that I spent nearly the same amount on each (used), I'm going to stick with what works.

Which reminds me, does anybody want an Oktava 319? Message me. i got a decent deal, willing to share the same. Its currently on ebay but I can take it down.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another possibly is forgery. i'm not saying it's the case with your mic --- but there are a LOT of fake Oktavas out there - especially on ebay. here's some good information on how to spot a fake.

paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine looks legit. It has the "NO" before the serial number and flat head screws.

It just doesn't work for my voice, which is not uncommon. That's what I get for buying blind. At least I have 1 mic that works pretty well for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: